Slow Cooker Jalapeno Chicken Tacos
Slow Cooker Jalapeno Chicken Tacos are paired with a creamy cilantro sauce for an easy, gluten-free dinner that couldn’t be more delicious. This dreamy dish is quick, wholesome, and beyond delicious.
I’ve been on the hunt for quick and easy dinners that everyone is excited to eat and also provide lots of tasty leftovers. The solution? Tacos. Lots and lots of tacos. More specifically, these Slow Cooker Jalapeno Chicken Tacos. They make the perfect dinner and then I can use the leftover shredded chicken in so many different ways.
I am a big fan of slow cooker taco recipes for many reasons. For one, the ease is unmatched. All you have to do is toss in your ingredients, then walk away and let the slow cooker do its thing.
When you return, you will have a delicious meal ready and waiting for you like this Slow Cooker Mexican Beef or Salsa Verde Chicken.
This healthy slow cooker chicken taco recipe is wildly flavorful and requires only 10 minutes of prep time. Once the chicken is ready, you can load it onto your tortillas with all your favorite taco toppings. I like to add fresh cilantro, shredded cheese, avocado slices, and a lime wedge on the side.
Whether you’re serving the family for dinner or hosting a game day party, these delicious Jalapeno Chicken Tacos make the perfect dish.
We also love these Stovetop Shredded Chicken Tacos, Chicken Street Tacos, and Spicy Chicken Tacos on busy nights when you don't have time for the slow cooker.
Key Ingredients and Easy Swaps
To make these delicious jalapeno chicken tacos, you will need the following ingredients:
- Chicken breast: Make sure to use boneless and skinless chicken breasts, as it saves both time and effort when it comes to shredding the meat later. You can also use boneless chicken thighs or lean pork.
- Canned jalapenos: Feel free to adjust the number of jalapenos depending on your crowd’s flavor preferences. You could also swap in diced green chilies, which are milder.
- Greek yogurt: This is a key ingredient in the sauce and will help keep the chicken moist. It’s also jam-packed with nutrients, protein, and probiotics.
- Cream cheese: Cream cheese is what makes the creamy cilantro sauce so insanely delicious. For a lighter version, try using low-fat cream cheese.
Slow Cooker Jalapeno Chicken Taco Recipe Tips
- Although it might seem a bit strange, you’re going to be using both the jalapenos and the jarring liquid in this recipe. It adds tons of flavor to the chicken, and the liquid works to keep the chicken moist.
- Line the raw chicken breasts along the bottom of the slow cooker. Position them onto their sides if you need more space, but make sure not to overlap them.
- Switch the protein. Feel free to substitute the chicken with pork or beef, depending on what you’re in the mood for and what you have at home.
- Change the tortillas. This recipe calls for flour tortillas, but you could swap them out for corn tortillas for a gluten-free option.
- Add veggies. You could add some additional veggies to the slow cooker if you would like. Some of my top choices include bell peppers and onions.
- Skip the jalapenos. If you don’t like spice, no problem! Try using poblano peppers, which are hotter than banana peppers but milder than jalapenos. Alternatively, you could use green bell peppers or leave out the peppers altogether.
- Serve as bowls: We love using this shredded spicy chicken in easy chicken taco bowls or a slow cooker chicken burrito bowl.
Taco Topping Ideas
You can top these jalapeno chicken tacos with just about any of your favorite taco toppings. If you need some inspiration, here are some of my top choices:
- Fresh, diced tomatoes
- Raw or pickled onions
- Black beans or our black bean and corn hummus
- Brown rice or quinoa
- Shredded cheese
- Extra cilantro
- Fresh salsa (Salsa Verde, Corn Salsa, Pineapple Salsa, or Mango Salsa)
What to Serve with Jalapeno Chicken Tacos
- Serve these tacos with our skillet Mexican brown rice casserole for a hearty Mexican side dish or Mexican cauliflower rice for a low-carb option.
- If you’re looking for a bit more protein, try pairing these tacos with a side of quick refried beans or this black bean and corn salad.
- If you’re setting up an appetizer table, try pairing these tacos with some ground turkey tostadas or your classic chips and dip combination.
- For a light and fresh side dish, try out this southwest quinoa salad with black beans, corn, and avocado.
How to Store Jalapeno Chicken Tacos
You can store these slow cooker jalapeno chicken tacos by sealing them inside an airtight storage container and refrigerating them for up to 3-4 days.
If you’d like to store them even longer, seal leftover chicken in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy the dish again, thaw the chicken in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it in the microwave or on the stove.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you can find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this healthy Mexican-inspired dish:
How to cut jalapenos?
I recommend wearing gloves, so you don’t get jalapeno seeds or juice on your hands and then wipe your eyes. For a milder dish, remove the jalapeno pepper stem, cut the pepper in half, then scrape out the seeds and membrane.
How do I know when the chicken is done?
It normally takes about 4 hours for chicken to cook in a slow cooker that is set on Low. The easiest way to tell if your chicken is done is to check it with a thermometer. The temperature should read 165 degrees at the thickest part of the chicken.
How do you shred the chicken?
I prefer the classic two-fork method, however, you could also use a pair of tongs or even an immersion blender for a quick shred. Just make sure the chicken has cooled off a bit beforehand!
Can you overcook chicken in a slow cooker?
Yes, it’s possible! If the chicken cooks for too long there’s a chance it will dry up and become chewy. Make sure to follow the recipe carefully so you don’t overcook your chicken.
Should you flip the chicken in a slow cooker?
No, there is no flipping or turning necessary in this dish, or any slow cooker dish for that matter. Just sit back, relax, and let the slow cooker do its thing.
Slow Cooker Jalapeno Chicken Tacos
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup canned jalapenos (or more)
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 12 corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.