videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Sunday Slow Cooker: Salsa Verde Chicken
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- Basics: Combine everything is the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
- Option 1: Make your own salsa verde for the chicken. I recommend this roasted salsa verde. It’s delicious and is perfect for this slow cooker chicken.
- Option 2: Doctor up some store-bought salsa verde. Buy your favorite brand and make it better. In this recipe I like to saute an onion, 4 cloves of garlic, and some chile peppers (1-2 jalapenos or 1-2 poblanos depending on how spicy the salsa is) and add that to the salsa along with 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/2 tsp. coriander, 1/2 tsp. oregano. It really amps up the flavor and makes a store bought salsa something special.
- Option 3: Just use the jarred/canned stuff! Nothing to be ashamed of, I use this option all the time when I don’t have time to do anything more then dump everything in the slow cooker and walk away. My favorite salsa verdes are from Herdez and Frontera.
- Make it creamy! Want a creamier chicken, add 4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese or 3/4 cup reduced fat sour cream after shredding the chicken for a creamy version that is out of this world delicious. The cream cheese option adds 40 calories and 1 PointsPlus® per serving. The sour cream adds 31 calories and 1 PointsPlus® per serving
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.