This filling Turkey Taco Salad is made with delicious ground turkey taco meat, black beans, crispy tortilla strips, avocado, cheddar cheese, and lots of fresh vegetables. Easy, filling, and healthy. Jump to Recipe
This mouthwatering Turkey Taco Salad recipe is easy to make, loaded with fresh ingredients, and exploding with flavor. With juicy taco meat, crispy corn tortilla strips, fresh avocado, and other tasty ingredients all served over a bed of crisp romaine lettuce, you’ll be ready for seconds before you’ve even finished your bowl.
Contrary to popular belief, salads do NOT have to be boring! I used to think that eating a salad meant sacrificing flavor for health, but that couldn’t be further from the truth. The best kinds of salads are loaded with vibrant ingredients so that every bite is bursting with flavor. This salad is the perfect example of a salad that’s loaded to absolute perfection, with delicious and wholesome ingredients to satisfy your taste buds and leave you feeling great.
If you’ve tried my Ground Turkey Tacos then you know just how delicious this easy taco meat recipe is. Made simply with lean ground turkey, red salsa, and taco seasoning, this flavorful taco meat makes the perfect protein source for this Turkey Taco Salad. I love tacos as much as the next person, but sometimes I’m craving something a bit lighter that still fills me up and tastes incredible.
Whether you’re looking for a new meal prep recipe to add to your weekly line-up or a satisfying meal to feed the family for lunch, this flavorful recipe is a must-try. It’s as wholesome as it is delicious, making for the ultimate healthy meal.
This ultra satisfying taco salad recipe wouldn’t be complete without the following key ingredients:
- Turkey taco meat: Made with just 3 ingredients, this juicy and flavorful taco meat makes the perfect protein source for this salad.
- Romaine lettuce: This fresh and crispy green is chopped and used as the base of our salad bowl.
- Black beans: Loaded with protein and fiber, black beans are both a delicious addition to the salad and a great way to stay full long after you’re done eating.
- Avocado: This creamy fruit (yes, it’s technically a fruit!) provides tons of heart healthy fats our bodies crave. Not to mention, it’s delicious.
- Cheddar cheese: What would a taco salad be without a little cheese? You can use the cheese of your choice, but my go-to is shredded cheddar cheese.
- Corn tortillas: Crispy baked tortillas that you can either break into bite-sized pieces or cut into thin strips.
Serving and Substitution Tips
- For a quicker dish, you can prep the taco meat ahead of time and assemble it with the rest of the ingredients when you’re ready to enjoy the salad.
- If you’re a lover of spicy food, feel free to add fresh jalapeno slices or a drizzle of hot sauce over the top of your salad.
- To make this salad even heartier, you can add brown rice or quinoa along with the existing salad ingredients.
- For a show stopping presentation, add fresh cilantro and/or lime wedges to the dish just before serving.
- If you don’t have ground turkey or want to try something different, you can substitute the turkey for ground beef or use grilled chicken, shrimp, or tempeh in place of the taco meat.
How to Store This Dish
To store leftovers, you’ll want to store the turkey taco meat separately from the rest of the salad ingredients so the vegetables don’t get soggy. The taco meat can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months. Sliced avocado should be eaten within a day, but the rest of the salad ingredients can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days. For best results, slip a paper towel into the bag or container with the vegetables to keep them crisp for longer.
Taco Salad Topping Ideas
The best part about salads is that you can get creative and switch it up! Aside from the toppings we use in this recipe, these are some more of my favorite toppings to use for taco salads:
- Pico de gallo
- Jalapeno slices
- Bell peppers
- Fresh cilantro
- Refried beans
- Lime wedges
- Sour cream
- Cotija cheese
- Sliced red onions
Ideas for Side Dishes
While this taco salad recipe is delicious on its own, you can pair it with one or two side dishes for the perfect Mexican-inspired dinner party. These are some of my favorite side dishes for taco salad:
Frequently Asked Questions
These are some of the most frequently asked questions about Turkey Taco Salad:
What goes well with taco salad?
Any cold, refreshing beverage would pair wonderfully with taco salad. Iced tea, fruit-infused lemonade, light beer, and margaritas are all great options. Tasty side dishes for taco salad include beans, rice, and cornbread.
Should taco salad be warm or cold?
This is totally up to you. Taco salad is delicious when enjoyed both warm and cold, so you can serve it warm immediately after preparing it and then enjoy the leftovers cold later.
What can I use instead of ground turkey?
You can use ground beef instead of turkey to make the taco meat. If you want to forego the taco meat altogether and use a different protein source, grilled chicken and shrimp work great too. For a vegetarian alternative, try using tempeh or baked tofu.
Is taco salad good for you?
Absolutely! While taco salads found at restaurants tend to be loaded up with fattening dressings that make them less healthy, homemade versions like this one are packed with nothing but wholesome ingredients and are perfectly good for you.
What dressing goes well with this salad?
There are lots of different dressing options for a taco salad. Personally I normally just use some extra salsa since I find there is plenty of flavor from the ground turkey. If you want ore dressing, consider adding some skinny ranch, this herby green goddess dressing, or a store-bought cilantro or avocado dressing.
More Tasty Salad Recipes:
Turkey Taco Salad
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb 99% lean ground turkey
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1/2 cup salsa (fresh refrigerated salsa is best)
- 1 U head Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 14 oz canned black beans, drained
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 U avocado, chopped
- 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 2 U corn tortillas
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place the tortillas right on the oven rack. Bake the tortillas for 8-10 minutes until browned and crispy. Let cool and then break into bite-sized pieces. For a more beautiful presentation, cut into strips and spray with cooking spray. Place on baking and cook for 6-8 minutes until crispy.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.