Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches with pineapple barbecue sauce, grilled pineapple, red onion, and jalapeno couldn't be more delicious. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches will quickly become your new favorite chicken sandwich and are packed with a homemade pineapple barbecue sauce, juicy grilled chicken, grilled pineapple, red onions, and more! Serve it with some Grilled Red Potatoes or Grilled Broccoli for a delicious and healthy meal.
This sandwich is everything, it's seriously delicious. I mean it's got grilled chicken and pineapple all in a quick and easy barbecue sauce flavored with pineapple juice, garlic, ginger, and Sriracha if you like things spicy. Plus it couldn't be easier to make. The sauce takes all of 5 minutes to put together and the chicken takes about 10 minutes on the grill. That's it to have the most amazing grilled chicken sandwiches.
If this recipe looks kind of familiar, it's based off this Grilled Pineapple Barbecue Chicken I shared a couple weeks back. We loved that meal so much, I have been making it on repeat and to switch things up one night, we made sandwiches instead and they were so good I had to share them. I have also made that recipe with pork chops after a reader suggested it and they came out amazing as well. I think the moral of the story is that anything tastes delicious with this doctored up barbecue sauce and grilled pineapple.
Another quick note, I got a few questions asking if it is really necessary to grill the pineapple. While you could skip this step, I really recommend taking the extra step and grilling it. The pineapple caramelizes on the outside and gets a nice smoky flavor from the grill that really adds something to the dish. It doesn't really take any extra time either since you will already be cooking the chicken.
Tips for Making Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
- It's really up to you how spicy you make these sandwiches. We love the sweet and spicy combination on our house so I add Sriracha to the barbecue sauce and also top the burger with fresh jalapenos. If spice really isn't your thing, leave it out completely or choose the Sriracha or the jalapenos but not both.
- For a lower carb version of these burgers, swap out regular barbecue sauce for a light or sugar-free version instead and wrap up the burger in a crunchy lettuce wrap or some grilled portobello mushrooms. For a Paleo version, I like to serve the burger in some grilled slices of sweet potato.
- Personally, I don't think this burger needs cheese but you could add a slice of Swiss, pepper jack, cheddar, or crumbled goat cheese. Some sliced avocado is also delicious to add a creamy, fresh element.
Recipes Ideas for Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
There are lots of ways to customize these chicken sandwiches to work for any family or taste preferences. Here are some ideas:
- For a quicker option, you can marinate the chicken in teriyaki sauce or an Asian inspired BBQ sauce. Both of these options work great and take out some of the extra prep work.
- If you are feeding vegetarians as well, this sauce tastes great on a grilled veggie burger. Just make sure to make the sauce separate from the marinade.
- This will work with chicken thighs as well. One benefit to chicken thighs is that they are more affordable and are more forgiving when it comes to cooking. The higher fat content means they will stay moist even if you cook them a little too long.
- If you can't find resh pineapple, canned will work as well. Just be careful it doesn't break on the grill or place it on some foil. You can also swap in grilled mango or grilled peaches.
- To make this even more Hawaiian, you can use a Hawaiian roll for serving. The sweetness of the roll pairs great with the sweet and spicy nature of the sauce.
Looking for more grilled sandwiches and burgers?
- Portobello Burgers with Avocado and Swiss Cheese
- Turkey Apple Burgers
- Jalapeno Cheddar Turkey Burgers
- Chickpea Feta Burgers
Here are some tools and products I used when cooking this recipe:
- If you don't have a gas or charcoal grill at home, a grill pan is a great option for grilling indoors. I used one for years when I lived in an apartment that didn't allow grills. The two that I use most often are this nonstick version and this cast iron version. The nonstick is great for easy clean-up but the cast iron will give you deeper grill marks and more smoky flavor.
- Pineapples can be a pain to cut, especially if you want pretty pineapple rings. That's where a pineapple corer comes in handy. It slices the pineapple into perfect rings in about one minute. If you eat a lot of pineapple, it's worth it.
- Looking to lower the carbs or sugar? Try using a low sugar or sugar free barbecue sauce instead to lighten things up. I personally love this one. This is a good Paleo option as well.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Grilled Hawaiian Chicken Sandwiches
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 3 tbsp pineapple juice
- 1.5 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 U garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, minced
- 1/2 tsp Sriracha (optional, more to taste)
- 1 cup pineapple, sliced
- 4 U reduced calorie hamburger roll
- 1 U red onion, sliced
- 1 U jalapeno, sliced
- 2 cups greens
Mix together the barbecue sauce, pineapple juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and Sriracha. Marinate the chicken in this mixture for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
When ready to cook, remove the chicken from the marinade letting excess drip off. Spray the pineapple slices with cooking spray. Grill the chicken and pineapple for 4-5 minutes per side or until cooked through. For thinner chicken, cook less time on each side.
Meanwhile, pour the excess marinade into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil and let cook 4-5 minutes until slightly reduced. Serve drizzled on the sandwiches.
Serve layered on the hamburger roll with sliced red onion, fresh jalapeno, greens, grilled pineapple, and a drizzle of the homemade barbecue sauce.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.