Portobello Burgers with Swiss Cheese and Avocado made on the grill for the perfect vegetarian burger that's healthy and ready in no time. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Portobello Burgers with Swiss Cheese and Avocado have so much flavor you won't even miss the meat!
These Portobello Burgers are truly delicious. Between the portobello mushrooms marinated in balsamic vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, the creamy avocado, and the melted Swiss cheese - you seriously won't taste a better veggie burger. Truth be told, I have been making these for years but they seemed to simple to share. However after lots of requests for portobello burgers, I decided to share this simple recipe. The burgers can be cooked on the grill or under the broiler. Just follow the same directions for cooking under the broiler.
Here are some things to consider when making these Portobello Burgers:
- If you are a strict vegetarian, make sure to look for a Worcestershire that is vegetarian or vegan. Some sauces contain anchovy so its something to look out for if you don't eat animal products.
- Although I love Swiss cheese on this burger, any cheese is fair game. I have made them with cheddar, goat cheese, blue cheese, and pepper jack and it is delicious no matter how you serve it.
- If avocado isn't your thing, replace the avocado with another creamy condiment. I love using hummus, tzatziki, salsa, or homemade ranch dressing.
Looking for more vegetarian burger recipes:
- Black Bean Burgers with Creamy Red Pepper Goat Cheese Spread
- Double Bean Burgers
- Chickpea Feta Burgers
- Apple Black Bean Burgers
- Jalapeno Cheddar Black Bean Burgers
Here are some of the tools and products I used to prepare this recipe:
- If you don't have a gas or charcoal grill at home, a grill pan is a great option for grilling indoors. I used one for years when I lived in an apartment that didn't allow grills. The two that I use most often are this nonstick version and this cast iron version. The nonstick is great for easy clean-up but the cast iron will give you deeper grill marks and more smoky flavor.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Portobello Burgers with Swiss Cheese and Avocado
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 U portabella mushroom caps
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (vegan if needed)
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1.5 tsp Montreal steak seasoning
- 1 U red onion, sliced
- 4 U slices low fat Swiss cheese (like Jarlsberg)
- 1 U tomato, sliced
- 1 U avocado, sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 4 U reduced calorie hamburger buns
Stir together the balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, olive oil, Italian seasoning, and steak seasoning. Marinate the mushrooms in this mixture for at least 30 minutes.
When ready to grill, remove the mushrooms from marinade letting excess drip off. Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side. Add the cheese right before the mushrooms finish cooking so it melts. At the same time, grill the red onions. Usually I spray mine with cooking spray or brush with olive oil before placing them on the grill.
Top with tomato, arugula, grilled red onion, and avocado.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.