Chickpea Burgers that are easy to make and bursting with flavor from feta cheese, carrots, and spices. These are seriously delicious veggie burgers. Jump to Recipe
You have to try these Chickpea Feta Burgers next time you are craving a vegetarian burger. Made with a combination of chickpeas, feta cheese, carrots, shallots, and oregano - these burgers are packed with flavor. Serve them with some Crispy Turnip Fries or Carrot Fries.
I have a bad habit of spending way too much money on veggie burgers at the store. My whole family loves them and they are a go-to lunch and dinner option in our house. Even my super picky two year old loves them. However, they can get expensive. So lately I have been experimenting with making my own veggies burgers at home, like these Black Bean Apple Burgers. But my new favorite is this version with feta cheese and chickpeas.
The flavors are somewhat Greek inspired with the feta and oregano, but the carrots add a touch of sweetness to balance every out. I mean anything with feta cheese tastes delicious in my opinion, but these are seriously yummy. If you really wanted to take it to a Greek place, consider adding some roasted red peppers and olive tapenade on top. Yum.
One more topping idea! This chickpea veggie burger is especially delicious with a simple yogurt sauce. I make mine with nonfat plain Greek yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest, fresh dill, and a touch of garlic. So easy and the perfect creamy accompaniment to these burgers. Then pack everything into a burger bun with your favorite veggies and dinner is ready.
How to Make Chickpea Burgers
The key to making a really good chickpea veggie burger is making sure to get the right consistency in the patties. While some people do this with a fork, I find the best burgers are made with a food processor. Plus it is so much easier to let the food processor do the work for you.
- Add the chickpeas, carrots, cheese, shallots, oregano, and egg to the food processor. Blend until well combined. It should be a thick paste.
- Remove from the food processor. Add the breadcrumbs and stir together. Add more if the burger patties seem loose.
- Form the chickpea mixture into patties.
- Place the chickpea patties on a plate or baking sheet and place in the fridge for at least 15 minutes. This helps the patties stay together during cooking, specifically when flipping the burgers.
- Cook the burgers in a hot skillet for about 4-5 minutes per side. Flip over when browned and crispy.
How to Freeze Chickpea Feta Burgers
These burgers can also be made in advance and frozen for quick meals in the future. I like to freeze them individually and then pull them out and warm them in a pan so they stay nice and crispy. They can be frozen raw or cooked, but I usually cook them so that if I need something really quick I can pop them in the microwave.
Here's the best way to freeze both cooked and uncooked veggie burger patties.
- Uncooked patties: Start by pressing out any extra moisture in the patties with a paper towel. Just gently press down on the patties. Extra moisture can cause the burgers to fall apart when defrosted. Then place them on a baking sheet, covered in parchment paper, and place in the freezer. Let freeze for 3-4 hours until frozen and hard on the outside. Then place in a freezer-safe bag or container. The burgers won't stick together this way. Burgers can be cooked from frozen in a skillet.
- Cooked patties: The most important thing is to let the burgers fully cool before freezing. Once they are fully cooled, follow the same directions as above. Burgers can be gently reheated in a skillet or in the microwave.
Recipe Ideas for Chickpea Burgers
Consider this a base recipe for chickpea vegetarian burgers that you can modify as you get more comfortable with the recipe.
- Make them spicy: If you can't get enough spice, add some red pepper flakes, chili powder, or cayenne pepper to the patties. You can also top the burgers with some harissa, sliced jalapenos, or buffalo sauce.
- Change up the spices: These burgers have oregano, but you could use rosemary, thyme, basil, dill, or another dried herb. You could also try something different with curry powder, steak seasoning, turmeric, or even something like Everything Bagel seasoning.
- Try a different cheese: For a milder option, try using goat cheese instead. You could also make them with shredded sharp cheddar, pepper jack, or Swiss.
- Make chickpea nuggets: For something different, make these into chickpea nuggets instead of full burgers. This is a great option for kids.
Side Dish Ideas
- It's hard to have a burger and not want to have some fries. Try these Baked Skinny Fries, Garlic Parmesan Zucchini and Squash Fries, or Spicy Green Bean Fries.
- For a lighter option, pair this with a homemade Greek salad or this Healthy Kale Caesar.
- During colder months, I love serving this with soup like this Slow Cooker Chipotle Tomato Soup.
- Another healthy option is to make some homemade roasted vegetables like these Balsamic Brussels Sprouts or Honey Roasted Carrots.
How can I prevent my chickpea burgers from falling apart?
Believe it or not, canned chickpeas can have different levels of moisture. This can be different between brands and sometimes within the same can, some chickpeas may have absorbed more water during the cooking process. This means that sometimes a veggie burger recipe will work great for some people and fall apart for others. If you find your veggie burger isn't holding together, try adding some extra breadcrumbs to keep the burgers together. On the flip side, if you find the burgers too dry, then you can add some water or an extra egg.
One other amazing trick. Placing your burger patties in the fridge for 15-20 minutes or the freezer for about 10 minutes is also a great way to help the patties stay together. They firm up and are much easier to flip.
Looking for more veggie burgers?
Chickpea Feta Burgers
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 14 oz canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 U carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup reduced fat feta, crumbled
- 1 U egg
- 1 U shallot, minced
- 1 U garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.