Healthy Kale Caesar Salad with a homemade yogurt Caesar dressing that you will never believe is lightened up. Paired with kale and some quick homemade croutons, it's one of the best kale salads around.
This Healthy Kale Caesar Salad totally fulfills my craving for the calorie bomb restaurant salads but is made with a homemade Caesar dressing made with yogurt that's taste just as good. Pair it with kale or Romaine for a delicious and good for you Caesar salad.
Like everyone, I have been trying to eat more greens this month but am finding myself seeking more variety as we approach the end of the month. And one of the things I have been craving is a restaurant style Caesar salad. One of my favorites is actually made with kale and I love the earthy flavors it adds to the salad, plus I love the added nutritional benefits of kale.
Like any good Caesar, the key to the recipe is the dressing. This healthy caesar dressing starts out with Greek yogurt, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, and olive oil. Then to add the trademark Caesar flavors, you'll add garlic, Worcestershire sauce, and anchovy paste. The anchovy paste is optional but if you want authentic tasting Caesar, then you defintiely want to include it. It doesn't taste fishy at all and just adds a salty, umami flavor that makes a caesar taste like a Caesar. I opted not to include the raw egg, but you could definitely whisk one in as well.
Here are some ways to customize this Healthy Kale Caesar Salad
- If you don't love kale, you can use Romaine lettuce for a more traditional Caesar salad. I also love using a combination of kale and romaine.
- If you want a vegetarian version, you can leave out the anchovy paste and use a vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. You can replace the Worcestershire sauce with soy sauce as well.
- For a traditional Caesar, add one raw egg to the dressing. If you are worried about the dangers of eating raw eggs, you can use a pasteurized raw egg.
- For a low carb version, use full fat yogurt and leave off the croutons.
Looking for more healthy salad recipes?
- Mexican Chopped Salad with Honey Lime Dressing
- Skinny Broccoli Salad
- Watermelon and Avocado Salad
- Strawberry Spinach Salad
- Ranch BLT Pasta Salad
Here are some of the products and tools I used for this recipe
- Anchovy paste is a great ingredient to have on hand to add salty, umami flavor to a dish. I use it in salad dressing, pasta dishes, and quick stir-fries. Plus it is key for a good Caesar dressing.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Healthy Kale Caesar Salad
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 U slices sourdough bread
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (freshly grated is best)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 U garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 tsp. anchovy paste (optional)
- 6 cups Lacinato kale, chopped
- Preheat the oven (or toaster oven) to 400 degrees. Chop the sourdough bread into pieces and spray with cooking spray (or toss with olive oil.) Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 8-10 minutes until crispy. Remove and set aside.
- Mix together the yogurt, Parmesan cheese, lemon juice, olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and anchovy paste. Add a touch of water if it is too thick. Season with pepper.
- Toss with the kale, massaging it gently into the leaves. Add croutons and serve.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.