This simple four ingredient Skillet Lemon Oregano Chicken couldn't be easier and has so much delicious Greek flavor. Jump to Recipe
Today I have the ultimate four ingredient dinner for you - Skillet Lemon Oregano Chicken. It's made with staples everyone has in their pantry and can be paired with anything from a simple Greek Salad to Tzatziki to this yummy Roasted Vegetable and Orzo dish.
Lately, I have been on a citrus kick and adding citrus to just about everything. And surprisingly, this simple chicken dish packed with lemon was one of our favorite meals last week. The combination of lemon, garlic, and oregano just works and the chicken ends up moist and packed with flavor.
It can be made quickly in a skillet or tossed on the grill. I highly recommend making a double batch since it is perfect for leftover salads and grain bowls. I also highly recommend topping the end product with lots of feta cheese and some sliced black olives, if that's your thing. It is so so good that way.
What to serve with Skillet Lemon Chicken?
There are almost endless options when it comes to side dishes for this chicken dish, but since the recipe itself is so simple, I also like to serve something that's easy to make on the side.
- For a simple side dish, consider going with some baked regular or sweet potatoes on the side and a quick green salad.
- Grab a pouch of precooked brown rice and make a quick Israeli salad to serve on the side. Bonus points for feta cheese, sliced olives, and a scoop of hummus.
- If you are cooking this on the grill, make some simple grilled vegetables like these Grilled Carrots or some Grilled Cauliflower.
- If you are baking these in the oven, consider making some Roasted Asian Broccoli or Crispy Asian Brussels Sprouts.
- If cooking anything else feels like too much work, make this easy Cucumber, Tomato, and Avocado Salad.
Recipe Tips and Variations
This is one of those basic recipes that you can tweak and twist in so many ways by adding different spices, swapping in another citrus, or trying out another protein option. Here are some favorite ideas:
- Swap in lime juice and add coriander, which has a similar flavor profile to fresh cilantro. Then add a touch of cumin for some smokiness.
- Instead of oregano, swap in some dried basil or Italian seasoning to go in a more Italian direction.
- Swap in some ginger for the garlic and then add a splash of soy sauce.
- Instead of chicken breast, make this with chicken thighs, boneless pork chops, or even tofu. Just make sure to press it first.
- Go in a Cuban direction with a mix of lime juice and orange juice. Then add some dry jerk seasoning.
How to use leftover Lemon Chicken?
Like any leftover chicken, this dish works great for wraps, sandwiches, salads, and more. Consider doubling the recipe and using your leftovers to make:
- Some Greek-inspired sandwiches with fresh pita bread, feta cheese, cucumbers, tomatoes, olives, and a drizzle of Greek dressing.
- A huge salad with lots of fresh greens, crunchy cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, sweet apples, and the leftover chicken,
- Chop up the leftover chicken to make a homemade chicken salad. Use it for sandwiches, salads, or wraps. I also love to serve it with some whole grain crackers or baked chips.
- For a quick and easy lunch, grab some canned vegetable or minestrone soup and add this right into the soup. It elevates canned soup to a special dish.
- For a fast dinner, get some pasta cooking and add some chopped broccoli during the last few minutes of cooking. Drain both and add the chopped oregano chicken, a canned of diced Italian tomatoes, 1/4 cup of cream cheese, and some Parmesan cheese to make a quick creamy chicken pasta dish.
How to defrost chicken breasts?
If you are like me, you always have some frozen chicken breasts hanging out in the freezer. The best way to defrost the chicken is always to let it naturally defrost overnight in the fridge. Place it in a bowl to catch any liquid that is released as it defrosts.
If you need to defrost the chicken more quickly, place it in a leak-proof plastic bag and submerge it in a bowl of cold water in the sink. Change the water every 30 minutes until the chicken is fully defrosted. Although it may seem counter-intuitive, make sure to use cold water to safely defrost the chicken. Warm or hot water can heat it up too quickly on the edges.
Looking for other simple chicken dishes?
Skillet Lemon Oregano Chicken
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1.33 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 U garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- Get IngredientsNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.