This vegetarian Roasted Vegetable and Orzo dish is full of delicious veggies, sweet and tart cranberries, and hearty orzo for an easy, healthy meatless meal.
I may have a mild obsession with roasting vegetables. It happens almost every Sunday and my husband inevitably rolls his eyes as he watches me fill up three or four sheet pans with veggies, asking who could possibly want to eat that many vegetables. But I just love them. They are the perfect thing to add to salads, sandwiches, your morning eggs, and dishes like this Roasted Vegetable and Orzo dish.
It starts with an Italian inspired combination of zucchini, red peppers, mushrooms, eggplant, and red onion that are simply tossed in olive oil, salt, and pepper. You could add some more spices, but I love the flavor of the veggies when they are seasoned simply. While the veggies do their thing, the orzo is cooked in vegetable broth with some dried cranberries for little sweetness. Then everything is tossed together with your favorite balsamic vinegar. Sometimes I add some fresh herbs as well - basil, sage, parsley, or thyme are all delicious. And if you want some protein, add shrimp, grilled chicken, chickpeas, white beans, or tuna.
Roasted Vegetables and Orzo
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 U red onion, chopped
- 1 U zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch disks
- 1 U summer squash, sliced into 1/4 inch disks
- 1 U eggplant sliced into 1/4 inch disks
- 2 U red peppers, sliced into quarters
- 2 U portabella mushrooms
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup orzo
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 3 U green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar (or more)
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.