Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls with brown rice, black beans, tender chicken breast, and all the toppings are an easy dinner that the whole family loves. Jump to Recipe
These Crockpot Burrito Bowls have become a staple the past few weeks packed with salsa chicken, black beans, and brown rice. They are easy to make, filling, affordable, and versatile. They also satisfy any cravings for Chipotle and Mexican without having to go out for takeout.
There are so many reasons to love this recipe since it makes building burrito bowls so easy. There is no need for multiple pans cooking all the different components, everything cooks right in the slow cooker. It's so easy and we all need a little easy right now.
Additionally, these burrito bowls are super flavorful and can be customized to fit your preferences by using mild or spicy salsa, choosing any beans you like, and adding all your favorite toppings. Piled high with avocado, cheese, cilantro, and extra salsa - these have been a meal we are eating at least once a week.
Recipe Ideas and Swaps for Crockpot Burrito Bowls
- Make the recipe heartier with some canned or frozen corn. Add it when you add the beans and rice.
- For extra veggies, add some chopped bell peppers, poblano peppers, or jalapenos when you add the onions
- If you don't have salsa, you could use canned tomatoes. Spicy tomatoes, like Rotel, will be the closest in terms of flavor. However, any canned diced tomatoes (with the juice) will work. Just add some extra spices or a packet of taco seasoning.
- If you don't have chicken breast, you could use chicken thighs or pork. You could also use ground turkey or ground beef, just make sure to brown it first.
- If you don't have instant rice and want to use something different, just cook it separately to ensure it cooks correctly. Leave out the broth and then just stir in the cooked rice with the black beans.
- Any beans will work for this recipe. Make it with black beans, pinto beans, white beans, whatever you have.
- This works with red salsa, green salsa, or even enchilada sauce. Use what you have!
- If you want a cheesy top layer, add a layer of shredded cheese during the last 15 minutes of cooking. It will melt right in the slow cooker.
- Avocado or guacamole
- Chopped onions or green onions and cilantro
- Sauteed peppers and onions for a fajita style burrito bowl
- Shredded cheese or queso fresco
- Pico de Gallo, chopped fresh tomatoes, or extra salsa
- Black olives and pickled jalapenos
- Shredded lettuce or greens
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Fresh limes or lemons
- Baked tortilla chips for some crunch or corn tortillas for making tacos
Storage and Meal Prep
This recipe is a great option for meal prep. Once it is cooked, divide it into individual servings. Depending on what toppings you are using, you may want to pack them on the side. Then just reheat in the microwave or in a skillet. This will last in the fridge for 4-5 days. Although this recipe can be frozen, I find the rice gets mushy after freezing so I wouldn't recommend it.
Can I make burrito bowls on the stovetop? Instant pot?
If you want to make this on the stovetop, I recommend using this One Pot Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe instead that is written specifically for the stovetop. If you are going to make it in the Instant Pot, then just cook the chicken with the onions, garlic, salsa, and spices on Manual for 10-12 minutes. Cook the rice separately and then stir in the rice and beans once the chicken is cooked.
Can I use a different type of rice?
Rice is very temperamental in the slow cooker so I would only make these burrito bowls with instant rice if you want to cook the rice in the slow cooker. For any other type of rice, I would recommend making it on the side and then just stirring it in. Make sure to eliminate the chicken broth from the recipe if you will be cooking the rice separately. This will ensure that the rice cooks correctly and doesn't end up underdone.
You could also use pre-cooked or frozen rice, just add it at the end in the same way as you would any other cooked rice. On the same note, you could stir in cooked quinoa, farro, barley, or any other grain you like.
More Slow Cooker Mexican recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Bowls
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 U onion, diced
- 2 U cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2.5 cups salsa (any kind)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 2 3/4 cups instant brown rice (or white, must be instant)
- 15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- Get IngredientsNEW!
Add the chicken breast, onion, garlic, salsa, chicken broth, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to the slow cooker. Stir together and cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through. Slow cookers cook at different rates so check the chicken at 3 hours so it won't overcook.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.