Baked Tortilla Chips
These easy Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips come together in less than 10 minutes, are super crunchy, and so much healthier than store bought.
Learn how to make your very own baked tortilla chips using leftover corn tortillas from taco night! With less oil, this homemade tortilla chips recipe is a healthier alternative to store-bought chips.
It’s hard to call this a recipe. It’s more of a technique to make your at-home tortilla chips. Not only are they cheaper and healthier than store-bought baked chips, but you also get to control the seasoning and doctor them up however you like.
Whenever I can, I prefer to make my own versions of processed foods, like these tortilla chips (or even regular potato chips). When I make things at home, I can control the quantity and the quality of all the ingredients. Plus, I can also create my own seasonings and flavors too!
The total amount of creative control is such a comfort when I am trying to eat nutritious food.
There is nothing inherently unhealthy about corn tortillas- they can just be very carb-heavy. If you are trying to eat low-carb, this might not be the best snack choice for you. I will say that corn tortillas are a good source of fiber!
When I crave a salty and crunchy snack, I make a batch of these baked tortilla chips. They are so crispy and satisfying. I also like to whip up some sort of chip dip like this spicy cheddar corn dip or creamy avocado salsa verde to serve on the side.
Key Ingredients For Baked Tortilla Chips
There are just two ingredients in these chips. If you have corn tortillas in your house, it's easy and straightforward to turn them into your own chips.
- Corn Tortillas: I have not tested this recipe with flour tortillas, but I have read other recipes that use them with perfect results.
- Salt & Pepper: This is a basic recipe, so you can change the spices up and make the chips tangy or spicy. Have fun creating your own spice blend for them!
- Cooking Spray: To make them crispy (and prevent them from sticking to the baking sheet), I suggest spraying down the baking sheet and spritzing the tortillas with some spray. The type of spray doesn't matter since you aren't going to be eating very much of it, so use your favorite brand/type.
Note: For a complete list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make these homemade baked tortilla chips, take a look at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
What To Serve With Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips
I don't know about you, but I can just eat these chips plain, right out of the oven! I love salty snacks, and these chips are so guilt-free. They are also a healthy way to enjoy your favorite dips too.
I like to enjoy them with some edamame hummus as a fiber-packed snack. But, if you are craving something sweet, whip up some mango salsa to eat with your chips. The sweet and spicy combo can't lose! Also, don't forget to try and make this creamy artichoke dip with jalapenos. It has a little bit of heat and lots of healthy fats too.
For Taco Tuesday (or if you are in the mood for chips and dip), I like to make my family's favorite tacos for dinner (chipotle shrimp tacos with cilantro avocado slaw) and serve these tortilla chips on the side.
You just can't go wrong with these chips. They are so dippable and crunchy!
Recipe Tips And Ideas For Baked Tortilla Chips
Follow these tips to make sure the chips turn out crispy every single time!
- To make sure that I cut the tortillas into even shapes, I fold them in half twice. It's essential to cut them all the same size so that they all bake simultaneously. Otherwise, you might have one burned piece and a few pieces that aren't crispy yet.
- Add cooking spray to the tortillas before you add the seasoning. This will help the seasoning to stick to the tortilla chips better.
- The best thing about this recipe is how easy it is to customize it! Depending on what I am serving them with, I have been known to sprinkle them with cumin, chile powder, homemade taco seasoning, some lime juice, Zatar, curry powder, and even a little cinnamon and sugar. Have fun with it!
Frequently Asked Questions About Homemade Tortilla Chips
Here are some questions readers frequently ask me about homemade tortilla chips.
How do you store homemade tortilla chips?
Keep these tortilla chips in a resealable bag in your pantry. They will stay fresh for up to a week. Since they are so easy to make, I prefer to make enough to last a few days. Plus, they taste a lot better when they are fresh out of the oven too!
Can I use flour tortillas instead of corn?
Yes, you can use flour tortillas instead of corn. The baking time might change slightly, but not much. Check on them after about 8 minutes.
How do you make these homemade tortilla chips in the air fryer?
Yup, you can make corn tortilla chips in the air fryer! Follow the exact instructions as the oven, but shake the air fryer basket halfway through cooking.
Is it cheaper to make your own tortilla chips?
In my personal opinion, yes! It is cheaper to make your tortilla chips at home. You can usually buy many more corn tortillas for a lower price than a bag of tortilla chips.
Are tortilla chips healthy?
Corn and flour tortillas are excellent to eat in moderation. Baked tortilla chips are a lot healthier for you than fried tortilla chips because they use a lot less oil and grease. If you are trying to eat low-carb, then pork rinds or baked parmesan crisps are a better choice for you.
More Delicious Snack Recipes You'll Love
Baked Tortilla Chips
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 8 corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Thank you for so many wonderful recipes.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.