Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Beef
This easy Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Beef is the perfect filling for tacos, burritos, and rice bowls and is perfect for meal prep.
If you are looking for a versatile and easy dinner recipe, this Slow Cooker Beef with Salsa Verde is it! Using just a few pantry staples and a few secrets to kicking up the flavor of store-bought salsa verde, you can make some seriously tasty shredded beef.
Normally when people think of using salsa verde in the slow cooker, salsa verde chicken is what comes to mind.
However, you can also make a really delicious Mexican shredded beef dish with salsa verde. The flavors are more subtle than the typical chipotle and dried chile beef recipes (like this Birria recipe) but equally delicious.
The tender meat can be used for tacos, burritos, bowls, quesadillas, and more. It is also so delicious with eggs, kind of like a traditional Machaca.
Our Best Healthy Mexican Recipes
This delicious recipe is featured in our guide to the best healthy Mexican recipes! If you are craving good-for-you versions of all your favorite Mexican meals, then check it out.... Take me there
What You'll Need
- Lean beef: This recipe will work with almost any beef roast or chuck roast. Anything that shreds easily when it is cooked low and slow. Generally, I look for a leaner cut, like a beef eye roast or lean stewing meat. Or I just grab whatever is on sale at the market. While this recipe is intended to be made with beef, it will also work with chicken or pork.
- Salsa Verde: This is the key ingredient in this recipe so make sure to choose a salsa verde that tastes really good. Herdez is one of my favorite store brands. Choose the spice level that works best for your home - mild, medium, and hot all work.
- Onions, garlic, and jalapeno: To boost the flavor of the store-bought salsa, I like to blend in some extra jalapenos for spice and fresh onion for flavor. You can also add some fresh cilantro and lime juice, although normally I add those to the beef before serving.
- Spices: This is another strategy for making the store-bought salsa more flavorful so it stands up to the rich flavor of the beef. Cumin, oregano, and coriander work great or you could just add some homemade taco seasoning.
The Best Ways to Serve Salsa Verde Beef
This recipe is great for meal prep and the leftovers taste just as good, or even better than the fresh dish. Plan on making extra and get two meals from this one dish!
- Tacos: Pair this with some warm corn tortillas, chopped cilantro, and queso fresco for a delicious taco night. Add some Mexican Cauliflower Rice and Quick Refried Beans on the side.
- Burritos and Burrito Bowls: Make your own burritos and bowls at home by pairing this with some cooked white or brown rice. Then add some cooked fajita vegetables, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, cheese, and pico de Gallo.
- Quesadillas: Turn this into a delicious quesadilla by adding shredded cheese and pinto beans. Then serve it with sliced avocado or guacamole.
- Steak and eggs: Make a Mexican version of steak and eggs by serving this alongside some fried or scrambled eggs for breakfast. Serve it with tortillas on the side for some yummy breakfast tacos. We also love this slow cooked Mexican Tri Tip recipe for steak and eggs.
- Stuffed peppers: Toss the leftover beef with cooked rice and a can of diced tomatoes. Stuff it into bell peppers and top it with shredded cheese for some tasty stuffed peppers. It's also great stuffed into zucchini boats.
- Nachos: It would be hard to include this beef without telling you to try it on some nachos You can start with tortilla chips or mini pepper halves. Add the beef, beans, chopped veggies, cheese, and extra salsa verde. Trust me - this shredded beef is so good on chips.
- Sandwiches: Make a Mexican version of a classic beef drip sandwich by serving this with melted pepper jack cheese and pickled jalapenos. Or make your own Mexican tortas with refried beans, avocado, and panela cheese.
There are so many ways to make this recipe your own or customize the flavors to suit your needs. Here are some things to try:
- Sear the beef first to add even more flavor and add some extra color to the meat.
- Swap in your favorite red salsa for the green salsa to create another version of this tasty dish. Fire-roasted salsa works really well with its smoky flavor.
- Instead of using a combination of spices, use your favorite taco seasoning to add extra flavor to this dish.
- Add some extra veggies and flavor by adding a can of drained diced tomatoes along with the salsa verde.
- Make sure to finish this dish with some fresh cilantro and lime juice to bring out the flavors in the salsa verde.
- Switch up the protein and make a similar taco using turkey. Check out these ground turkey salsa verde tacos.
How to Store Leftovers
This beef is great to keep in the fridge for quick and easy lunches and meals. It will keep in the fridge for 4-5 days.
This shredded beef also freezes great. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months in the freezer. Defrost overnight in the fridge and reheat in the slow cooker on low or in a pan over medium heta.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most common questions about making this salsa verde beef.
Can I make salsa verde beef in the Instant Pot?
This recipe turns out great in the Instant Pot. Sear the beef in a touch of oil and then add the remaining ingredients. Seal the lid and cook for 30 minutes. Then let the Instant Pot or pressure cooker naturally release. Shred with two forks and serve.
Would this work with chicken or pork?
Absolutely! This recipe works great with beef, chicken, or pork. If using chicken breasts or a lean cut of pork, cut the cooking time down to 3-4 hours to ensure it doesn't overcook.
Is salsa verde spicy?
There are many different types of salsa verde out there and you can choose a mild one for less spice or a medium or spicy salsa for more spice. This recipe also uses two additional jalapenos to add some extra flavor and spice.
What is salsa verde?
Salsa verde is a Mexican green salsa made with tomatillos, onion, garlic, cilantro, and jalapenos. There are raw, boiled, and roasted versions of the salsa and any can work for this recipe.
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Beef
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 lbs. lean beef eye round, cut into chunks
- 16 oz. salsa verde
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. coriander
- 2 jalapenos, diced and seeded (more to taste)
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.