There is nothing better than a warm, spicy bowl of green chicken pozole on a cold night and this is possibly one of my all time favorite soups. After having a delicious, but definitely not weight watchers friendly pork version, at my favorite Mexican restaurant I had to find a way to make this at home without ruining my diet.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Green Chicken Pozole
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 U poblano peppers (seeded if you don’t want it too spicy)
- 2 U jalapenos seeded
- 1 lb tomatillos
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 U bunch cilantro
- cooking spray
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 45 oz canned hominy
Pour your chicken broth into a large soup pot and bring to a slow rolling boil. Add the chicken and cook for 10-15 minutes until cooked through. Remove and shred.
Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the poblano peppers, jalapenos, tomatillos, cilantro, oregano, and salt and pepper and blend until smooth. You may need to some water or chicken broth to help at this point to help it blend.
Spray a pan with cooking spray and add the green salsa you made in step 1. Simmer until it becomes a deep green, stirring occasionally. This will take about 8 minutes.
Add the green salsa to the chicken broth and stir together.
Add hominy to the soup and allow to cook for ten minutes.
Add shredded chicken broth and simmer for an additional ten minutes.
Serve in bowls and add your favorite garnishes – I love mine with a crunchy baked tortilla, queso fresco, cabbage, and lots of lime juice.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
You can use the following as garnish:
- Shredded cabbage
- Queso fresco (add 1 point per tablespoon)
- Baked corn tortilla (add 1 point for every 2 small corn tortillas)
- Avocado (add 2 points for a quarter avocado)
- Chopped onion
- Chopped jalapenos (if you want more heat)
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.