Stir Fried Zucchini Noodles
Stir Fried Zucchini Noodles with a simple teriyaki sauce make the best healthy Asian side dish for under 100 calories.
Stir Fried Zucchini Noodles are a healthy and easy side dish and make a great lower carb substitute for rice with your favorite Asian dishes. We also love this Asian Zucchini Noodles and Pesto Shrimp Zucchini Noodles.
I have been obsessed with vegetable noodles lately. Seems like I’ve been zoodling everything I can get my hands on since I purchased my zoodle maker. I’ve loved zucchini noodles, butternut squash noodles, and even sweet potato noodles. I’ve even tried cucumber noodles in a few Asian dishes with great success.
50 Amazing Stir Fry Recipes
Stir Fry is the best choice when you are looking for a fast, fresh, and flavorful dinner. Find 50 delicious recipes PLUS tips and tricks for making a tasty stir-fry with any... Take me there!
Stir fried zucchini noodles just are one of those side dishes that make sense. They cook in less than 10 minutes, are a great way to get everyone to eat their veggies, and complement so many different dishes. We serve them with pretty much anything Asian inspired or use them as a base for chicken, fish, or pork.
Another thing I love about making zucchini noodles is that the whole family gets involved. Making veggie noodles is the perfect job for my 12-year-old. She loves turning the crank and making the noodles. And is it just me, or do kids seem more excited to eat meals that they actually help prepare? Try it out. You will be shocked at how many more things they will try when they have a hand in making it.
If you don’t have a spiralizer (affectionately referred to as a “zoodle maker” at our house), they actually sell lots of varieties of vegetable noodles at the supermarket. All spiralized and ready to use!
It seems to me that spiralizing vegetables is a great way to change your vegetable routine without a lot of work. Something about the process of spiralizing kind of changes the texture and makes them feel new and exciting. Plus they cook in seconds and are easy to add flavor to with just a few simple ingredients.
These Stir Fry Zucchini Noodles are a perfect canvas to start experimenting with zucchini noodles. From the base recipe, you could add in your favorite protein to make a more substantial dish. Chicken, pork, beef, tofu or even shrimp would be great additions to this veggie-laden dish.
Oh and word to the wise...as fun as it is to spiralize things, I’d recommend that you stick to chopping onions. I tried to spiralize some and wound up with a mess on my hands and tears in my eyes. Lesson learned.
How to make zucchini noodles?
There are many different ways to make zucchini noodles, but here are the three most popular options:
- Large Spiralizer: The most traditional way to make zucchini noodles is with a large, counter top spiralizer. Generally speaking, you start by cutting the ends off of the zucchini. Then place the zucchini in the spiralizer, securing it with the spiked end. Then simply turn the handle to create your zucchini noodles. You will be left with a small tube of zucchini that you can chop and use or discard.
- Handheld spiralizer: Another option is a small, handheld spiralizer. Generally speaking, it works by holding the zucchini in one hand and placing the spiralizer on top. Then you will twist it to make the noodles. This takes a little more work but they are usually only $5-10.
- Knife or vegetable peeler: Many people also use a knife or vegetable peeler to make their noodles. It can be trickier to get thin, even noodles with this method though.
How to stir fry zucchini noodles?
There are a few tricks when you are stir frying zucchini to make sure it comes out tender crisp. The most important is that you don't overcook the noodles. This is the most common mistake when making zucchini noodles and they can quickly go from delicious to mushy.
Secondly, if you have time, you can salt your zucchini noodles beforehand to pull out some of the moisture. Add the zucchini noodles to a colander. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for 10 minutes. This draws some of the moisture out. Then rinse the noodles and dry them well using a kitchen towel.
What to serve with stir fried zucchini noodles?
There are so many different options for serving these noodles. Here are some of our favorites.
- Make a big batch of this Healthy Kung Pao Chicken and serve it on a bed of these noodles.
- For a quick option, make these Broiled Asian Chicken Thighs.
- For a meatless meal, try this Crispy Salt and Pepper Tofu.
- Get out your grill and make this easy Grilled Honey Lime Salmon.
Stir Fried Zucchini Noodles
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced thinly
- 4 small zucchini, spiralized
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce (GF if needed)
- 2 tablespoons low sodium teriyaki sauce (GF if needed)
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.