Honey Mustard Brussels Sprouts that are roasted until crispy and brown and then tossed with the most amazing 3 ingredient sauce are a side dish that will have everyone eating their veggies.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts drizzled with honey mustard sauce is a simple side dish that elevates any meal. These deliciously browned and crispy sprouts quickly become the star of any meal and can be paired with almost any main dish you like.
I will take a big bowl of crispy, almost burnt, nicely caramelized Brussels sprouts any night of the week. They are a favorite side dish, snack, or salad topper and I make them almost once a week. My usual go-to is simple salt and pepper or balsamic vinegar, but lately, I have been mixing things up with this simple honey mustard sauce that's drizzled on top just after roasting. The sweet and salty combo is perfect in my opinion and we were eating these right off the baking sheet.
How to roast Brussels sprouts so they are brown and crispy?
One of the most common reasons that people don't enjoy Brussels sprouts is that they aren't preparing them correctly. No one wants soggy, mushy, or bland Brussels sprouts. To bring out the most flavor, Brussels sprouts need to get brown and caramelized. The easiest way to accomplish this is by roasting, frying, or cooking them in a hot skillet. Of those three methods, roasting them is by far the easiest and also requires the least amount of oil.
To make sure roasted Brussels sprouts come out caramelized and crisp, make sure to follow these three important steps:
- Do not overcrowd the pan: In order to brown and roast, vegetables need space on the baking sheet. As Brussels sprouts (or any veggie) cooks, they release moisture. If the Brussels sprouts are piled on top of each other on a baking sheet, this moisture will cause the Brussels sprouts to steam. That's not what we want. By giving the sprouts some space on the baking sheet and placing them in a single layer, it ensures that the sprouts roast and brown instead of steam.
- Preheat the baking sheet: One trick of getting nicely browned sprouts and veggies is preheating the baking sheet. By placing the sprouts on a hot baking sheet, you can mimic the same searing, browning effects you would get by adding them to a very hot skillet. Simply place the baking sheet in the oven as it preheats. Then very carefully add the sprouts to the hot baking sheet.
- High heat: Don't get nervous about cranking up the oven, these sprouts will not burn in high heat. The high heat helps the outside of to brown while letting the inside cook and become tender. High heat helps with caramelization and doesn't happen when sprouts are cooked at low temperatures.
Recipe Ideas and Tips
There are lots of ways to make this recipe your own and switch up the flavors and ingredients. Here are some ideas to customize this recipe:
- Add bacon: Everything tastes better with bacon and this recipe is no exception. Add some chopped bacon right on the baking sheet alongside the Brussels sprouts. It will cook up and become crispy while also adding some bacon flavor to the dish. Look for center cut bacon, which tends to be the leanest option.
- Try different mustard: Whole grain mustard is a favorite in our house with its deep flavor and texture, however, you can experiment with different types of mustard. Try a Dijon mustard for a more complex flavor, use horseradish mustard for something with spice, consider truffle mustard or hot mustard to change up the flavor profile. Just always choose mustard you would be happy eating.
- Swap in maple syrup: For a vegan version of this dish or to simply change the flavor, swap in maple syrup for the honey in this recipe. Another option is to try different flavored honey options. This is so good with hot honey if you like things spicy.
- Add crunch: To add some texture and crunch, consider topping the finished recipe with some chopped walnuts or pecans. It's also delicious with pomegranate arils, toasted breadcrumbs, or some thinly sliced shallots.
- Add herbs and spices: In this recipe, the mustard adds spice and flavor to the sprouts. To kick up that flavor even more, add dried herbs or spices like thyme, oregano, basil, paprika, or cumin.
- Garlic: Another pairing that works great is garlic. Add some chopped minced garlic to the sauce or use garlic powder if there isn't fresh garlic on hand.
Main Dishes to Serve with Honey Mustard Brussels Sprouts
These Brussels sprouts work with all kinds of main dishes from chicken to pork to fish, steak, and vegetarian dishes. However, we especially love to serve these with sweet and spicy dishes like these:
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Easy Honey Garlic Broiled Salmon
- Sweet and Spicy Pork
- Baked Tofu with Sweet Orange Ginger Sauce
- Turkey Apple Burgers
Can these be made in a skillet?
In a rush? These can also be made in a pan if you want to speed things up. Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a heavy pan or skillet. Place the sprouts cut side down in a single layer and cover. Cook for 5-8 minutes until sprouts are tender and cut side is almost black. Toss with the honey mustard and you have a simple side dish in 10 minutes.
Can these be made with frozen Brussels sprouts?
If it isn't Brussels sprouts season or they are hard to find, you can swap in frozen Brussels sprouts in a pinch. Make sure to defrost them fully before roasting them. Also please note that you will not get the same crispy browned edges when making frozen sprouts since they have more moisture than fresh sprouts.
Will this work with different vegetables?
Absolutely! This recipe is delicious with all kinds of vegetables. Consider swapping in another vegetable or using a combination of vegetables. Just beware of the cooking time since it may change depending on what veggie you use. Some ideas include asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, snap peas, green beans, cabbage, or butternut squash.
More Brussels Sprouts Recipes
Honey Mustard Brussels Sprouts
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.