Quick and Easy Spicy Salmon
This spicy salmon recipe comes together with just a few ingredients: salmon, olive oil, and a combination of dried spices. Don’t let its simplicity fool you though this salmon has an abundance of flavor.
Salmon has become my quick and easy go-to option on those busy weekday evenings and this Spicy Salmon is a favorite in our house. The combination of spicy, sweet, and savory is delicious. Plus this easy salmon can be served so many different ways from tacos to bowls to salads.
The great thing about this spice mix too, is that it is very forgiving. If I run out of one spice I can add more of another or substitute it for something else. It can be mild, spicy, or sweet. Make it work for you.
If your family loves salmon as much as we do, try these other salmon recipes: Salmon Sushi Bowls, Easy Salmon Stir Fry, or this Lemon Pepper Salmon.
Reasons to Try This Spicy Salmon
We all have a list of our go-to recipes for quick, easy, and healthy meals. This spicy salmon is definitely one that belongs on that list.
- Easy: You won’t find an easier recipe than this. All you have to do is combine the spice mix and cook the salmon.
- Tasty: The variety of spices makes this salmon taste out of this world.
- Versatile: You can easily play around with the spice level by changing up the spices. Want more spice? Add some chili flakes. Want less spice? Use less chili powder.
- Healthy: Salmon is a very healthy fish option.
Key Ingredients and Easy Swaps
Here’s everything you need to make this tasty salmon.
- Salmon: We like to use wild salmon fillets but any kind of salmon will work, even salmon steaks. You could also use trout or arctic char if you can’t find salmon.
- Spices: This spicy salmon uses a combination of chili powder, ground cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, ground ginger, and smoked paprika. It also has brown sugar to balance the spice, but it can be left out for a sugar-free version.
- Olive oi We like cooking with extra virgin olive oil but if you don’t have any on hand you can use any kind of mild-flavored oil or melted butter.
How To Make This Spicy Salmon Recipe
Just follow these simple steps to make this delicious salmon.
1. Make the salmon spice rub
This salmon seasoning is easy to make and customize. Normally I make a big batch and keep in the pantry. It’s also great on other types of fish, shrimp, and chicken.
Simply combine the chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and ginger if using. Add extra chili powder or cayenne pepper to make it spicier. Double the brown sugar to make it sweeter. Add some oregano, dill, coriander, or basil for an herbal flavor.
2. Prep the salmon
Always start by patting the salmon with paper towels to dry. Then brush it with olive oil and press into the spice rub.
If the salmon is frozen, make sure to defrost it first. To quickly defrost individually packed salmon filets, simply place them in a container with cold water in the cyrovac. Let sit for 10-15 minuets to defrost.
3. How to Cook Salmon: 3 Options
There are so many different ways to cook this dish.
- In a skillet: Using a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the salmon, skin side up, and cook on one side for 4-5 minutes until a golden exterior forms. Flip the salmon and cook for another 4-6 minutes until done to your liking.
- On the grill or under the broiler: Grill or broil the salmon for 4-5 minutes per side.
- In the oven: Place the salmon on a parchment-lined cookie sheet and cook for 12-15 minutes at 400 degrees.
Best Side Dishes for Salmon
Salmon is a really versatile protein that can be served with almost anything. Here are some ways we love to eat this spicy salmon.
- With salad: This salmon tastes great with greens. Serve it alongside or on top of this Spring Mix Salad, Grilled Vegetable Salad, or Beet Salad With Goat Cheese
- With veggies: Although we often think of asparagus with salmon, branch out and try it with some Crispy Asian Brussels Sprouts or Pan Fried Broccoli. Or stick to asparagus but make this amazing grilled asparagus recipe.
- Tacos: This spicy salmon works great for salmon tacos or can be served in warm tortillas with fish taco slaw.
- Rice Bowls: Make some white rice, brown rice, quinoa, or cauliflower rice. Add the salmon and raw or cooked vegetables, avocado, and corn salsa for a tasty Tex-Mex inspired salmon rice bowl.
How to Store Leftover Salmon
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, here is how to store them.
- Refrigerator: Leftover salmon will keep for 2-3 days in the fridge.
- Freezer: Salmon will keep for up to 3 months in the freezer.
- Thaw: Thaw overnight in the fridge.
- Reheat: Reheat thawed salmon in the oven or in the microwave.
Health Benefits of Salmon
Salmon is a great food to keep in the fridge. This easy salmon recipe is chock-full of nutrients, which is one more reason it is a go-to in my recipe book.
- High in protein and low in calories: Compared to other fatty fish and meats salmon really packs a punch from a protein perspective and is lower in calories.
- Nutrient-rich: Salmon contains an abundance of vitamins and nutrients. It contains healthy fats like omega 3s which help reduce inflammation and improve cardiovascular health. Salmon is also rich in antioxidants and b vitamins, which help balance and strengthen your immune system.
Tips for Cooking Salmon
Some people get intimidated when cooking fish at home, but follow these tips for perfect salmon every time.
- Preheat the grill: Make sure the grill is hot when you place the salmon on. You want it to start cooking right away.
- Consistent size: Choose salmon filets that are all consistent in thickness so they cook up at the same pace.
- Marinate: Though you can season the fish right on the spot if you are short of time though an easy marinade can add even more flavor and depth to the dish. Use the same ingredients listed below. Mix them together in a bowl, add a few tablespoons of water, and pour over the salmon. Stored in an air-tight container and refrigerate for a few hours before cooking.
- Cook time: You only need to cook salmon for about eight minutes, but since every oven and grill cooks food differently, keep an eye out for the texture of the salmon. When the salmon is flakey in texture it is fully cooked.
- Don’t overcook: Salmon is best when cooked between medium and medium well so the inside is just cooked through and soft. The edges and thinner parts will be more flaky. Be careful not to overcook your salmon or it will become dry.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most common questions about making this salmon dish.
How long does it take to grill salmon?
It doesn’t take too long to grill salmon. If you are grilling a fillet that is about an inch or so thick it should take around 4-5 minutes per side. If you are grilling salmon steaks it will take a little bit longer.
What spices goes well with salmom?
Salmon has a mild flavor and meaty texture that makes it work with a wide variety of spices and herbs. It is great with blackening seasoning or Cajun seasoning if you like some spice. Pair it with lemon pepper seasoning or Italian seasoning for a mild flavor. Or simply create your own spice blend using dried herbs, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and/or pepper.
Quick and Easy Spicy Salmon
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 24 oz. wild salmon (or farm raised)
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger (optional, adjust to taste)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Any salmon variety will work for this recipe.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.