Cilantro Lime Salmon in Foil
Baked Cilantro Lime Salmon with honey and garlic is an easy 20-minute dinner that the whole family will love. It's easy to make and is a must for anyone who loves cilantro.
This cilantro lime salmon is packed with omega-3 fatty acids and is a lean source of protein for your weeknight dinner. Made with simple ingredients, this recipe packs a flavor punch and is a must-make for anyone who loves cilantro!
Speaking of cilantro, if you love it as much as we do, don't miss these recipes for cilantro lime chicken and cilantro lime quinoa.
My go-to fish used to be haddock when I lived on the Northeast coast. It was always fresh, readily available, and typically pretty affordable. Since moving to California, I have started eating a lot more salmon. It isn't that I don't like other Pacific fish varieties, but many of them are so expensive and sometimes can be hard to find.
Whenever possible, I try and buy wild salmon since it has more flavor and doesn't need as much dressing up. Today's recipe is a perfect example of this! With just a few simple ingredients, you can make this salmon recipe sing.
Cilantro, garlic, honey, and lime juice make the perfect crust for the salmon. You could also throw a jalapeno in as well if you like things spicy.
I always love to come across an easy-baked salmon recipe, and this one tops the list of my favorites! Some other favorites include this Baked Garlic Lemon Salmon in Foil, Italian Salmon, and Dijon Baked Salmon.
Since this healthy salmon recipe can be made in the kitchen or on the grill, it is the perfect recipe for a health-conscious cookout! This baked salmon recipe won't take time away from your guests while preparing and won't leave them starving while waiting on a meal.
Key Ingredients For Cilantro Lime Salmon
You probably already most of the ingredients for this recipe in your pantry. Here's a bit more information about what you'll need.
- Salmon: I used one large piece of salmon for this recipe. To keep things simple, use skinless, boneless salmon.
- Spices: The combination of paprika and chili powder makes it taste almost spicy.
- Butter: Make sure to only use real butter! Salted or unsalted butter works; it doesn't matter.
- Lime Juice: Fresh lime juice will taste better than jarred.
- Honey: If you don't have any honey on hand, you can use brown sugar, but it won't have the same taste.
- Cilantro: Use fresh parsley if you aren't a fan of cilantro.
- Garlic Cloves: You can use two teaspoons of garlic powder in place of fresh cloves.
What To Serve With Salmon
My favorite thing to serve with any type of fish is rice. This Instant Pot brown rice recipe is super-easy and full of fiber. Quinoa also tastes fantastic with seafood, so serve Southwest Quinoa Salad.
Also, don't forget about the veggies! Add some steamed or roasted asparagus or baked broccoli, and you have a complete meal.
Play up the cilantro and lime flavors in this salmon recipe by adding a yummy salsa like mango salsa, pineapple salsa, or pico de gallo.
Recipe Tips And Ideas For Cilantro Salmon
Follow these tips to make sure that the salmon turns out juicy every single time!
- If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a mortar and pestle to get ingredients finely minced.
- Don’t have a mortar and pestle either? Honestly, who does? Just use your cutting board and the bottom of a coffee cup. Make sure to chop up your ingredients as small as possible and get to mashing!
- If you want to avoid using foil for grilling consider, purchasing a fish basket. This is a great accessory to any grill and can double for vegetables.
- Not a cilantro and garlic fan? No problem! You can still get a full and savory flavor by opting to use any of your favorite seasonings and herbs. I like to use a little chili powder in place of the garlic, as this gives it a nice chili-lime flavor.
- Use leftovers to make a delicious salmon and rice bowl with steamed rice and vegetables.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
How healthy is salmon?
This fish can be very healthy when consumed in healthy increments. As far as health benefits go, salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential fatty acids. They are essential because when Omega-3 and Omega-6 are out of balance, our bodies can become inflamed, and our gut health can take a dive.
Salmon is also a great source of lean protein, B-Vitamins, and potassium. All these nutrients assist with reducing the risk of a heart attack or disease.
Tip: Find out more about all the nutritional benefits of salmon plus everything you have ever wanted to know about cooking and preparing this healthy fish in this Ultimate Guide to Salmon.
What is the difference between wild-caught and farmed salmon?
Wild-caught salmon comes from its natural environment,, which includes oceans, rivers, and lakes. Farmed salmon comes from a marine farm, which is called aquaculture. The primary reason this is a concern is due to the salmon’s diet.
In the wild, salmon eat what they normally would. While being farmed, they are fed specific diets to accomplish certain growth and nutrient desires.
For instance, half of a wild-caught salmon contains 281 calories, while half of a farmed salmon has 412 calories. Similarly, the fat content of a wild salmon is approximately 13 grams compared to the nearly 30 grams in a farmed salmon.
What are some time-saving tips for making this salmon?
I’m all about saving time, especially if I have company coming over for dinner or a cookout! I want to focus on spending time with my guests rather than rushing to get ingredients together.
Use these time-saving tips when preparing for this recipe:
- Mix the cilantro, olive oil, garlic, lime juice, and lime zest together ahead of time. This can stay in your refrigerator for up to a week before it has to be used.
- If your salmon is frozen, be sure to take it out early enough to defrost. The general rule is 30 minutes of thawing per pound of fish.
More Delicious Fish Recipes
Cilantro Lime Salmon in Foil
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1.33 lbs. skinless boneless salmon (one large piece)
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.