This Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole is the perfect thing to make for a crowd. It's packed with hashbrowns, ham, spinach, and cheese and makes the best breakfast or brunch.
Crockpot Breakfast Casserole is the star of any breakfast spread. This simple and hearty breakfast dish packed with eggs, hash browns, spinach, ham, and cheddar cheese is all made in the slow cooker so breakfast can be ready and waiting when you wake up. Serve it with some Crispy Breakfast Potatoes or a big fruit salad.
We have a slew of house guests coming this month so I have been thinking a lot about breakfast and brunch dishes that I can have for the weekends. However, with two little ones at home and a deep love of a slow morning cup of coffee, I need dishes that take minimal cooking. I would much rather chit chat over coffee then slave away at the stove. So this breakfast casserole that is made in the slow cooker is perfect.
Just add everything to the slow cooker for this quick and easy crockpot hash brown casserole the night before and you are golden. Eight hours later breakfast is ready to go. Feel free to mix up the veggies and cheese to make any variety you choose. Personally, I love this version with ham, cheddar, and spinach. My other favorite includes goat cheese, spinach, red peppers, and crumbled turkey sausage.
How do you make an egg casserole in the slow cooker?
If you want to make an egg casserole in your slow cooker, here is the basic recipe. Then you can add in any toppings you like
- 12 eggs (or a combination of eggs and egg whites)
- 1/4 cup of milk
- Salt and pepper
- 10 oz. hashbrown potatoes (shredded or diced)
- 2 cups of toppings
- Directions: Whisk together the eggs with the milk, salt, and pepper. Spray the slow cooker with cooking spray. Add the hashbrown and toppings to the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour the eggs over top. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours until eggs are cooked through and puffed up.
Recipe Ideas for Crockpot Breakfast Casserole
There are virtually endless combinations when it comes to making breakfast casseroles in your crockpot. Here are some combinations we love to make when we aren't making this ham, spinach, and cheese option.
- Sausage, peppers, and onions: Brown some lean ground turkey breakfast sausage along with sliced onions and peppers. Throw in some cheddar or mozzarella cheese.
- Caprese: Add diced tomatoes (or drained canned diced tomatoes), chopped basil, and fresh or shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Lorraine: Add chopped center cut bacon, diced onion, Swiss cheese, and the secret ingredient - a touch of nutmeg to make a crustless version of this classic dish.
- Southwestern: Add diced tomatoes, poblano peppers, corn, black beans, and cheddar cheese. Toss in some taco seasoning for even more taco flavor.
- Veggie: Go all out with the vegetables adding zucchini, summer squash, tomatoes, spinach, and broccoli along with your favorite cheese.
- Bacon and leek: Chop and cook some center cut bacon along with some sauteed leeks. Add them to the casserole along with some shredded Gouda or Swiss cheese. You could also throw in some sundried tomatoes.
- Turkey and broccoli: Grab some deli turkey and cooked broccoli. Chop everything into bite sized pieces and add it to the slow cooker along with some sharp cheddar cheese.
Tips for Making Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole
- Make sure to spray the slow cooker really well with cooking spray so that the eggs don't stick. You can also use a slow cooker liner.
- It is important not to overcook this recipe. If you know that your slow cooker runs hot or cooks quickly, you may want to take it out earlier. It's finished once the eggs puff up and are cooked through. Check the center with a toothpick or knife since that part will finish last.
- You can use all different veggies in this recipe, but it is usually best to cook them first. This is especially true for vegetables that release a lot of water like spinach or zucchini.
- Any type of hashbrown potatoes work. You can use shredded or diced potatoes from the freezer or from the refrigerated section of the grocery store. If you want to make your own, precook them before adding them to the crockpot.
- For a low carb version, you can substitute cauliflower rice for the hashbrown potatoes.
- For a Paleo version, leave out the cheese and use almond milk and shredded sweet potatoes.
- For a Whole30 version, leave out the cheese and use canned coconut milk in place of the dairy milk.
Slow Cooker Breakfast Casserole with Ham, Cheese, and Spinach
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 10 oz hash brown potatoes (refrigerated or defrosted frozen)
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup onions, diced
- 4 oz boneless lean ham, chopped
- 10 oz. frozen spinach, defrosted and drained
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 6 eggs whites
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.