Made with eggs, hash browns, turkey bacon, and your favorite toppings, Breakfast Tacos are the perfect way to start the day. This classic breakfast recipe is easy to make and guaranteed to satisfy the whole family!
If you’ve been on the hunt for delicious healthy breakfast recipes, you’re definitely going to love these incredible Breakfast Tacos. This dish is quick, easy to make, and mouth-wateringly delicious. It's up there as a favorite with these Breakfast Quesadillas and Breakfast Burritos.
All you need to make this dish is turkey bacon, hash brown potatoes, eggs, green onions, and corn tortillas. You can also add any toppings you want for extra flavor and added nutrients. Some of my go-to topping choices include salsa, avocado, cilantro, and jalapeños.
One of my favorite things about this amazing recipe is that you can add any toppings you like. Buffet style? Even better! If you’re hosting a brunch or looking to spice up a Saturday morning breakfast at home, there’s nothing that gets the party started quite like a breakfast taco bar.
Every time I whip up these Breakfast Tacos, I know it’s going to be a hit with the fam. If you have youngsters at home, let them help you prepare the toppings so they can choose their favorites.
You can easily adjust this recipe to suit your dietary preferences. Major cheese lover? Toss in some cheddar or Cotija cheese. Vegetarian? Swap out the turkey bacon for black beans. Want some heat? Add a few shakes of hot sauce. The options are pretty much endless, so get creative with your tacos and enjoy!
Key Ingredients and Easy Swaps
To make this dreamy breakfast dish, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Turkey bacon: I like to lighten this dish up a bit by using turkey bacon instead of regular bacon. You can also leave out the bacon altogether and add black or refried beans for a vegetarian protein boost.
- Shredded hash browns: You should be able to find shredded hash brown potatoes in the frozen section of most grocery stores. If you can’t find any, feel free to use diced hash brown potatoes instead.
- Eggs: Loaded with protein and scrambled to perfection, eggs are the ultimate addition to any breakfast taco dish. Egg whites also work.
- Green onions: These are optional, but I love the freshness and slight crunch they add to these tacos. Green onions also add a nice pop of color.
- Corn tortillas: I love the incredible flavor of corn tortillas, but feel free to use flour tortillas instead if you like those better.
- Toppings: Some of my favorite toppings include shredded cheese, avocado slices, fresh cilantro, salsa, and jalapenos. Choose any toppings you like or keep your tacos simple!
Breakfast Tacos Recipe Tips
Here are some of my top tips to help you make this recipe:
- For a vegetarian option, feel free to swap out the turkey bacon for black beans or simply leave it out altogether. They are also delicious with roasted mushrooms like the ones in these Mushroom Tacos.
- For a vegan option, swap out the eggs for tofu or just leave them out. To make up for the protein in the eggs and bacon, I recommend adding black or refried beans to your vegan breakfast tacos.
- The key to the perfect breakfast tacos is warming up the tortillas beforehand. You don’t want to add your hot fillings to cold tortillas. You can warm your tortillas on the stove, in the oven, or in the microwave.
- To make your tacos extra hearty, try adding black beans or refried beans as a topping.
- Lover of all things spicy? Try adding some hot sauce, sriracha, or sliced jalapenos to your tacos.
- If you aren’t a fan of corn tortillas, feel free to use flour tortillas instead. Low-carb tortillas or wraps also work great.
- Looking to save time? You can easily cook the turkey bacon, potatoes, and green onions in advance. Just store them in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to prepare your tacos.
The most fun part of making breakfast tacos is loading them up with all your favorite toppings. This dish is super versatile, so you can mix and match different toppings depending on your flavor preferences and what you have at home. If you’re in need of a little inspiration, here are some of my favorite breakfast taco topping ideas:
- Pico de gallo
- Hot sauce
- Avocado slices
- Corn salsa
- Pickled red onions
- Cheese (Cotija cheese, shredded cheddar, or feta cheese)
- Refried beans
- Sour cream
How to Store Breakfast Tacos
Once your tacos have been assembled, they should either be eaten right away or frozen. If you store your fully assembled tacos in the fridge, they will likely wind up getting soggy.
To avoid soggy tacos, I recommend storing the various ingredients individually in airtight bags or containers. When properly stored, breakfast taco ingredients will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
To freeze breakfast tacos, roll them up and secure them in aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Once they have been secured, you can place the tacos into an airtight storage bag. They will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months. The perfect breakfast meal prep!
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this healthy breakfast recipe:
Yes! Breakfast tacos are loaded with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. This breakfast dish is perfectly healthy when consumed in moderation.
You can top your tacos however you like. Some of my favorite options include avocado or guacamole, pico de gallo or salsa, jalapenos, shredded cheese, and cilantro.
Absolutely. You can make this recipe vegan-friendly by swapping out the turkey bacon for a plant-based protein source like black or refried beans. You can also swap out the eggs for scrambled tofu, or simply leave out that part altogether.
- Get in your Inbox
- 4 slices turkey bacon, chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded hash brown potatoes
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 4 corn tortillas
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup salsa
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.