Make these Healthy Breakfast Tacos in just five minutes! These are made with scrambled eggs, black beans, salsa, and avocado for a hearty and tasty breakfast.
Quick and easy breakfasts definitely don't have to be boring. So put away the energy bars, instant oatmeal, and pre-packaged breakfast sandwiches and instead make these five-minute breakfast tacos. Your belly will thank you.
These breakfast tacos are packed with protein and healthy fats from eggs and avocados. They have plenty of fiber from the black beans and corn tortillas. And they have plenty of flavor from the salsa and spices.
I have no doubt this will quickly become one of your favorite breakfasts. And if you have ever been to Texas and had a Texas breakfast taco, you know just how yummy these are. We also love these skillet Breakfast Tacos with turkey bacon and hash browns when we have more time.
To make them even healthier, consider adding in some extra veggies. Throw in some fresh spinach, diced zucchini, or tomatoes. If you happen to have any leftover roasted squash or sweet potatoes, they really take these tacos to the next level. You could also add some shredded cheese, diced ham, turkey bacon, or turkey sausage.
One quick note, these five-minute breakfast tacos are made in the microwave. If you prefer a skillet version, these can also be made in a skillet. We also love these Breakfast Burritos, Breakfast Quesadillas, and Huevos Rancheros.
What You'll Need for Breakfast Tacos
- Eggs: Traditionally breakfast tacos are made with scrambled eggs. Use whole eggs, egg whites, or a combination of both to suit your needs.
- Beans: To add some fiber to these tacos, I like to add canned black beans. Pinto beans or refried beans would work great as well.
- Avocado: To add healthy fats and balance the spice, avocado is the perfect addition. Guacamole is also delish.
- Tortillas: Corn tortillas are my preference for egg tacos but you could also use flour tortillas, low carb tortillas, or almond flour tortillas.
- Salsa: Finish these tacos with your favorite salsa. Usually, I like spicy red salsa but they are also great with pico de gallo, salsa verde, or just some hot sauce.
How to make healthy breakfast tacos?
There are basically two easy ways to make these quick and easy tacos using the microwave for the ultimate quick breakfast or a skillet.
Always start by spraying the mug or bowl with cooking spray, since eggs will stick. Then whisk the eggs until they are well combined. Add the beans and spices and stir.
Microwave the eggs for one minute. They will start to fluff up on the side. Remove the eggs from the microwave and give them a quick stir to scramble the eggs. You can skip this step, but the eggs will be more like an omelet.
Return the eggs to the microwave for 1-1.5 minutes until fluffy. It's ok if they are slightly wet since they will continue to cook as they sit.
Warm up the tortillas, add the eggs, and top with avocado and salsa.
Adding extra vegetables: With the exception of spinach, which can be added right to the eggs, any other veggies need to be precooked. This can be down right in the microwave as well. Just chop the vegetables into small pieces and microwave them with a touch of water for 1-2 minutes until tender. Drain out the water before using. Frozen veggies work great for this.
Spray a small skillet with cooking spray or add a drizzle of olive oil. If you are adding extra vegetables, add them to the skillet and cook until tender. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper.
Push the vegetables to one side of the pan and add the eggs. Let cook slightly and as the edges begin to cook, gently scramble the eggs. Once the eggs are mostly set, add the beans and spices. Stir to combine.
Warm the tortillas and serve with avocado and salsa.
What toppings work on breakfast tacos?
- Shredded cheese - we love cheddar, Monterey jack, pepper jack, and queso fresco
- Avocado or guacamole
- Corn salsa
- Pico de Gallo
- Salsa Verde
- Ranchero sauce
- Chipotle peppers or creamy chipotle sauce
- Fresh or pickled jalapenos
- Crispy bacon
- Crumbled sausage
Recipe Ideas and Variations
There are lots of ways to customize this recipe to use what you have on hand or your favorite breakfast taco ingredients.
- Add breakfast meat: Add bacon, turkey sausage, or soyrizo for extra protein and flavor.
- Use tofu: Swap in crumbled tofu or a vegan egg replacement instead of the eggs.
- Add more veggies: Make the eggs in a skillet and add spinach, bell peppers, onions, or mushrooms. Or make a batch of sauteed veggies on the side to add. Or try them with tomatoes, white onions, and jalapenos like these Huevos a la Mexicana.
- Extra flavor: Add homemade taco seasoning to the eggs for extra flavor.
- Fresh herbs: Finish the taco with fresh cilantro, chives, oregano, or green onion.
- Add whole grains: Instead of beans, make these with some leftover cooked rice or quinoa.
- Use refried beans: Spread a thin layer of refried beans on the taco instead of adding whole beans.
- Make them crispy: Turn these into crispy breakfast tacos with your own homemade taco shells.
What's the best tortilla to use?
There are so many options when it comes to tortillas these days. Classic breakfast tortillas are always served on corn tortillas. Flour tortillas are sometimes used but are usually reserved for breakfast burritos.
For a grain-free option, many people reach for tortillas made with cassava flour, coconut flour, or almond flour. There are also keto and low-carb tortillas on the market, which are usually very high in fiber.
Basically, any tortilla you enjoy will work for these breakfast tacos.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most common questions about preparing breakfast tacos.
Breakfast tacos are best made right before serving since eggs don't reheat well after being cooked. The only exception to this would be if you made something like a frittata and used that to assemble breakfast tacos in the morning.
That's completely up to you. Breakfast tacos can be very mild or you can make them super spicy with salsa and hot sauce.
It is said that breakfast tacos were invented in Texas although no one is sure of the true origin. One thing that is certain is that breakfast tacos are very popular in Texas and Austin is famous for its breakfast tacos. Breakfast tacos are generally not very common in Mexico and are more of a Tex-Mex creation.
Five Minute Healthy Breakfast Tacos
- Get in your Inbox
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup canned black beans
- 1/8 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 corn tortillas
- 2 tbsp. avocado
- 2 tbsp. salsa (I recommend chipotle but any will work)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
Spray a microwave-safe dish with cooking spray. Whisk together the eggs, egg whites, black beans, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. If your are adding extra veggies stir them in as well. If your veggies are raw, you can microwave them first for 1-2 minutes until just tender. You can also scramble the eggs in a pan.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.