Portobello Mushroom Tacos make the most amazing vegetarian meal packed with mushrooms, peppers, onions, garlic and herb avocado salsa. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Portobello and Poblano Mushroom Tacos need to make an appearance at your next taco Tuesday. No one will even miss the meat in these delicious vegetarian tacos. Serve them with some Quick Refried Beans or Avocado Cucumber Salad.
Even though today I am a full fledged carnivore, for about 10 years I was a vegetarian. Unfortunately, during that time I also didn't cook very much, so let's just suffice to say there were way too many carbs, cheese, and some very tight jeans. Looking back, if I had cooked at home more back then, I may still be a vegetarian today especially with dishes like these simple portobello mushroom and poblano tacos. The portobellos make a perfect substitution for meat with their meaty texture and the poblanos add just enough spice without being overwhelming.
The taco filling comes together in about 15 minutes. It starts with onions and poblano peppers that get seasoned with cumin, oregano, and a touch of paprika. Then the mushrooms are added to that and everything is finished with some fresh cilantro, lime juice, and salt. That's really all it takes for a tasty vegetarian taco filling.
On top of all that, everything is finished with the most delicious avocado herb salsa that's made in the blender in about 2 minutes. It starts with creamy avocado plus a good helping of cilantro, fresh basil, lime juice, and salt. That's it but I promise you will want to eat it on everything. You could add a jalapeno as well if you wanted some extra spice since the poblanos can be mild.
Recipes Ideas for Portobello Mushroom Tacos
- If you love spice, I recommend adding jalapeno to either the avocado herb salsa or to the onions and poblanos. Personally, I find poblano peppers mild so I love having the extra spice.
- Craving more veggies? You can add all kinds of veggies to this taco filling to mix up the flavors. My personal favorites are diced zucchini and corn. Add it alongside the mushrooms. The corn adds some sweetness and crunch which I love.
- Looking for fiber? Add some black beans to the mix for a more substantial and filling taco. You could also toss in some quinoa or brown rice.
- Cheese! If you aren't looking for a vegan taco, I recommend topping these with some Mexican queso fresco if you can find it. Mozzarella, goat cheese, and feta are all pretty delicious as well.
- Want to add some crunch? Consider making some quick pickled red onions to add on top. Just soak sliced red onion in lime juice for at least one hour before serving.
What to serve with mushroom tacos?
- Although I love serving these as a classic taco, they are also wrapped up in lettuce. They also make a great rice bowl with the avocado salsa drizzled all over the top.
- Go the traditional route and serve this with Mexican Rice and Refried Beans.
- For some crunch on the side, add some grilled or roasted corn. To go authentically Mexican, serve it slathered with light mayo, lime juice, and cotija cheese.
- To keep things light, consider making this Mexican Chopped Salad.
What are the best mushrooms for tacos?
Although I chose portobello mushrooms for these tacos, you can use any mushrooms you have on hand or enjoy. Some favorites include cremini mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, or even simple white button mushrooms.
What toppings can I use for portobello mushroom tacos?
It can be difficult not to add extra toppings to your tacos. You will already have the avocado herb salsa, but you can also add:
- A quick drizzle of chipotle salsa for some heat and smokiness
- Some queso fresco or cotija cheese for some cheesy goodness
- Fresh diced onion
- Grilled or roasted corn
- Diced tomatoes
- Shredded cabbage
- Diced jalapenos or serrano peppers for heat
Looking for other vegetarian taco recipes?
- Sweet Potato and Spinach Tacos
- Rajas Con Queso (Poblano Peppers with Corn, Red Onions, and Cheese) Tacos
- Black Bean and Zucchini Tacos with Cilantro Avocado Slaw
- Grilled Portobello, Poblano, and Corn Tacos
- Butternut Squash and Black Bean Tacos
Here are some tools I used while preparing this meal:
- Nonstick pans: There are all kinds of nonstick pans on the market but I have been using these All Clad Nonstick Fry Pans for years and love them. The nonstick surface hasn't deteriorated at all over tons of use and they still work like the first time I used them. Also just FYI, it's best not to use aerosol on non-stick pans since it can damae the surface. Look for a non-aerosol cooking spray or use regular oil if you need anything.
- Vegetable brush: I always have a hard time cleaning mushrooms since the dirt can stick to them. For a long time I used wet paper towels but still felt like they weren't clean. Recently I switched over to a Mushroom Brush and find it removes a lot more dirt.
- Blender: I have been using this blender for years and it works great. It's definitely a bit of an investment on the front end but after making millions of smoothies, soups, and salsas, it is still going strong.
Portobello Mushroom Tacos with Avocado Herb Salsa
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.5 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 U onion, sliced
- 1 U poblano pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 4 U portobello mushroom, sliced
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro (divided)
- 1 U lime, juice (divided)
- 1 U avocado
- 2 tbsp basil
- Salt and pepper
- 8 U corn tortillas
Heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onions, peppers, cumin, oregano, and paprika. Cook for 5-6 minutes until beginning to soften. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 5-6 minutes until mushroom are tender. Season well with salt and pepper. Squeeze half the lime juice over the mushrooms and stir in half of the cilantro.
Meanwhile add the avocado, lime juice, remaining cilantro, and basil to a blender. Blend until smooth. Season well with salt and pepper.
Warm the tortillas and fill each with the mushroom mixture. Top with the avocado herb salsa.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.