How To Make Huevos Rancheros
Huevos Rancheros is made with corn tortillas, eggs, avocado, queso fresco, and homemade ranchero sauce. Ready in just 15 minutes, this authentic Mexican breakfast dish is ultra-satisfying and makes for a guaranteed crowd-pleaser.
When it comes to breakfast (or any meal, let’s be honest), I am pretty much always in the mood for Mexican food. From my Freezer Breakfast Burritos to these Breakfast Tacos to Breakfast Quesadillas. I am always on the hunt for quick and easy Mexican-inspired breakfasts to make for my family.
Huevos Rancheros (Rancher’s Eggs) have always been a favorite dish of mine. It's made with warm corn tortillas, eggs, fresh avocado, queso fresco, and homemade ranchero sauce. Huevos Rancheros dish is everything you could ask for in a savory Mexican breakfast dish.
If you love wholesome meals that are both incredibly easy to make and out-of-this-world delicious, then this Huevos Rancheros recipe is the dish for you. This vegetarian breakfast dish packs in tons of protein, healthy fats, and nutrients. And if you’re as busy as I am, then the fact that this is a 15-minute recipe should be a definite bonus.
Serve this dish as is or add a thin layer of refried beans for a ton of added flavor. I’ve made this Huevos Rancheros recipe for family and friends alike, with the same resounding waves of approval every time.
Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think! You also don't want to miss these Huevos a la Mexicana.
To make the best Huevos Rancheros ever, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Eggs: For this breakfast dish, I use whole eggs. You can cook them however you want, but traditionally eggs in Huevos Rancheros are cooked sunny side up. Make sure to salt and pepper the eggs. You want to make sure the egg yolks are runny for an authentic approach.
- Corn tortillas: This is the classic pairing for a reason… It's delicious! However, feel free to swap them out for flour tortillas, if you prefer. Make sure to crisp them up in a skillet, this step is essential.
- Ranchero sauce: The secret ingredient to making drool-worthy Huevos Rancheros is making your own sauce from scratch right in the blender! Store-bought sauce (or salsa or enchilada sauce) works in a pinch, but if you have the time, I highly recommend making your own. All you need is tomatoes, onions, garlic, chipotle peppers, jalapeno peppers or serrano peppers, and some spices like cumin and oregano. It takes 10-15 minutes.
- Avocado: Freshly sliced avocado is one of my favorite ways to top this dish. It’s loaded with heart-healthy fats and has a mild and buttery flavor that pairs beautifully with the vibrant flavors of this dish.
- Queso fresco: This delicious Mexican cheese tastes amazing in this dish. If you can’t find any, you can swap it out for queso cotija, feta cheese, or shredded Mexican cheese.
- Fresh cilantro: Fresh herbs are the perfect way to garnish this flavorful dish. In addition to providing a stunning pop of color, it also brightens the dish and enhances the flavors. If you don’t like cilantro, feel free to leave it out.
Recipe Tips and Variations
Huevos Rancheros is the perfect dish for first-timers and home cooks alike. If you’re looking for ways to make this dish your own, here are some of my top tips and variations:
- Add some beans. Beans are a flavorful and nutritious way of taking this Mexican breakfast dish to the next level. Personally, I recommend adding black beans or some Quick Refried Beans.
- Switch up your tortillas. Not a fan of corn tortillas? No problem! You can easily swap them out for flour tortillas instead.
- Swap your herbs. For those of you who aren’t fans of cilantro, you can leave these out and use fresh chives or parsley instead.
- Cook the eggs differently. While Huevos Rancheros are traditionally made with eggs that are cooked sunny side up, feel free to cook your eggs however you like. This dish will taste great with scrambled eggs, fried eggs, and everything in between.
- Add some extra protein. Shredded chicken tinga, carnitas (pork), or beef machaca would all make delicious additions to this dish if you’re looking for something even heartier.
- Add vegetables: This dish is delicious with some sauteed spinach, fajita vegetables, roasted sweet potato, or butternut squash.
Huevos Rancheros Topping Ideas
This is one of those classic breakfast dishes that is great for mixing up and making your own! To get you started, here are some of my favorite topping recommendations:
- Salsa. To add some extra flavor, try topping your Huevos Rancheros with fresh salsa. Some of my top choices include Pico de Gallo, Corn Salsa and Creamy Avocado Salsa Verde.
- Sauce. While this recipe calls for ranchero sauce, you can switch it up based on your flavor preferences and what you have at home. Try this Creamy Chipotle Sauce or some Jalapeno Ranch Dressing.
- Tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes are a flavorful and nutritious topping for this breakfast dish. Chopped cherry tomatoes or roma tomatoes will work great.
- Hot sauce. For some extra heat, try drizzling some sriracha or your favorite hot sauce over the dish just before serving it.
- Sour cream. The refreshing creaminess is the perfect way to balance out the strong and bold flavors of the dish.
- Greek yogurt. For a lighter alternative to sour cream, try adding some of this for a creamy touch.
- Lime juice. A squeeze of fresh lime juice is the perfect way to brighten up the dish.
- Guacamole. If you’d rather top your plate off with a dollop of guacamole — instead of sliced avocado — go right ahead! Like I said, this is the ideal breakfast dish for customizing to suit your preferences.
How to Store Huevos Rancheros
Because this dish only takes 15 minutes to prepare, I highly recommend eating it fresh. Cooked eggs don’t store well but the sauce can be stored in the fridge.
I don’t really recommend freezing this dish, however, you can absolutely store the homemade ranchero sauce in the freezer. To store, simply transfer the extra sauce to an airtight bag or container and freeze it for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this dish:
Are Huevos Rancheros healthy?
Yes! This Mexican breakfast dish is wholesome, satisfying, and packed with nutrients. Because the sauce is also made from scratch, it’s free of any artificial sugars or preservatives. If you’re looking for a healthy breakfast that’s packed with protein, this is an excellent choice.
In terms of restayrant versions, it really depends on how it is made. Some resturants use deep fried tortillas or tostadas making it less healthy. Tons of cheese or oil can also change the nutritional value.
How should I prepare my eggs for Huevos Rancheros?
Huevos Rancheros is traditionally made with sunny side up eggs, but you can really use whatever style of eggs you prefer. Scrambled, fried, over medium – feel free to get creative. You can even use scrambled egg whites for a lighter dish.
Is this dish spicy?
While ranchero sauce has a bit of a kick, this dish is definitely not a super spicy one. The heat is tempered by the eggs and fresh avocado for a well-balanced flavor profile. If you want to increase the heat, feel free to add jalapeno sauces or a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce.
How To Make Huevos Rancheros
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 8 corn tortillas
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup ranchero sauce
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup queso fresco
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.