Creamy coconut basil sauce spiked with lime and a touch of spice, I'm in love. Given my deep love of basil and coconut, I would (and do!) eat this sauce on almost anything - noodles, brown rice, quinoa, veggies, and especially this slow cooker chicken breast. The flavors in the sauce deepen as it cooks and chicken is the perfect vehicle to absorb and capture all that flavor. Plus there is only about 10 minutes of prep time and then the magic happens in the slow cooker.
Depending on your preferences, there are a few tweaks you can make to the sauce to make it exactly what your craving. If you love Thai curry, consider adding some green curry paste. If you like a sweeter sauce, add some brown sugar or honey. Love cilantro? Add some fresh cilantro to the mix along with the basil. Play with the amount of spice by adding jalapenos and up the ginger if that's your thing. You get the idea, just taste it as you blend until you have a sauce you love.
Lastly, if you want to add some veggies to the mix without any additional cooking, just add them to the slow cooker. For heartier veggies like squash, sweet potatoes, pumpkin, or carrots you can add them from the start. For quicker cooking veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, pea pods, zucchini, spinach, or bok choy, add them in the last 30 minutes of cooking so they stay crisp.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Slow Cooker Coconut Basil Chicken
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
- 14 oz. lite canned coconut milk
- 2 cups basil
- 1 tbsp. ginger, chopped (or more to taste)
- 1 U jalapenos, chopped (or more to taste)
- 3 U garlic cloves
- 2 U limes
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- Add the coconut milk, basil, ginger, jalapeno, garlic, lime juice, turmeric, cumin, curry powder, salt, pepper, and cinnamon to a blender. Blend until combined.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker. Pour the sauce over top. Cook for 4 hours or until chicken is cooked through and tender.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.