This homemade Creamy Chipotle Sauce is the perfect way to add smoky, spicy flavor to tacos, sandwiches, burgers, vegetables, and more. Made with Greek yogurt, this healthy sauce tastes good on everything!
Made with wholesome ingredients like Greek yogurt, lime juice, and chipotle peppers, this zesty Creamy Chipotle Sauce makes the perfect addition to any dish. It’s healthy, easy to make, and bursting with vibrant flavors. Serve it as a flavorful salad dressing or sandwich spread!
I have always been a big fan of using sauces and dips to turn my dishes from good to great. However, the pre-made kinds you can buy at the store are typically filled with artificial sugars, preservatives, and other processed ingredients. Years ago, I decided that I was much better off just making my own from scratch. It takes only a few minutes to whip up your own sauce or dip and is infinitely better for you!
From a Healthy Thousand Island Dressing that made my burgers mind-blowingly delicious to a Skinny Pesto that turned my pasta into a dish that all other pasta dishes would be envious of, I have yet to meet a homemade sauce that I haven’t absolutely loved.
This simple and flavorful sauce is the perfect way to spice up salads, sandwiches, tacos, and more. Ever since the first time I tried this sauce, I’ve been hooked. Since then, I have enjoyed this sauce in about a dozen different ways, each of which was even more delicious than the last.
Whether you use this Creamy Chipotle Sauce to take your turkey burger to the next level or upgrade your favorite chicken tacos, it’s a surefire hit. Try it out for yourself and let me know what you think!
What You’ll Need for Homemade Chipotle Sauce
To whip up this tasty sauce, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Greek yogurt: Packed with protein and probiotics, creamy Greek yogurt is the perfect base for this delicious sauce. I use nonfat Greek yogurt, but you can use any kind you like.
- Mayonnaise: This adds a depth of richness and makes the sauce extra creamy. If you don’t want to use mayonnaise, feel free to swap it out for sour cream or add more Greek yogurt in its place.
- Chipotle pepper: This smoky ingredient is the star of the show. If you prefer more of a kick, feel free to double up and use two peppers instead of one.
- Lime juice: This adds just the right amount of acidity to brighten up the rest of the ingredients in this flavorful sauce. It also balances out the heat from the pepper.
- Garlic: Loaded with an abundance of beneficial nutrients and anti-inflammatory properties, fresh garlic amps up this recipe with both added nutrition and added flavor.
Recipe Ideas and Tips
Here are some of my favorite ways to switch up this recipe:
- Not a fan of Greek yogurt? You can swap it out for regular plain yogurt or your favorite dairy-free yogurt alternative.
- If you don’t want to use mayonnaise, you can substitute it for sour cream or add more Greek yogurt instead.
- For even more flavor, try adding fresh cilantro or parsley before blending up the ingredients.
- You can make this dish vegan-friendly by swapping out the Greek yogurt and mayonnaise for your favorite dairy-free alternatives.
- For an extra spicy sauce, use two chipotle peppers instead of one.
- If you don’t have limes on hand, you can use fresh lemon juice instead.
- Like your sauces a little on the sweeter side? Try adding a touch of raw honey or maple syrup.
How to Serve Chipotle Dressing
Creamy Chipotle Sauce is incredibly versatile, so you can use it in a wide variety of ways. To give you a little inspiration, here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy this healthy sauce recipe:
- Spread it onto a sandwich like a grilled chicken sandwich or a veggie sandwich made with fresh or roasted vegetables.
- Enjoy it as a salad dressing atop your favorite grain bowl or a bed of greens with Southwestern-inspired ingredients like corn, black beans, and avocado.
- Drizzle it over tacos whether you’re making fish tacos, barbacoa tacos, or grilled chicken tacos.
- Use it as a dip for foods like fresh or roasted veggies, baked fries, grilled chicken tenders, homemade pizza, and whole grain crackers.
- Serve it with burritos or burrito bowls as the perfect way to add a ton of extra flavor. I like to serve this sauce with a burrito bowl that uses cauliflower rice as the base for a dish that’s both light and incredibly tasty!
- Spoon it over grilled meats like chicken, pork, or fish. It makes the perfect final touch to complement the smoky flavors in the meat imparted by the grill.
How to Store Homemade Sauce
When I make this sauce, I like to make a big batch that I can enjoy throughout the week. I find that homemade sauces and salad dressings hold up best when stored in a glass container or jar, so try to opt for one of these if you can.
To store this sauce, simply transfer it into an airtight container and it will keep in the fridge for up to one week. I wouldn’t recommend freezing it, as dairy-based sauces usually wind up clumpy when thawed out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this dish:
What goes with homemade chipotle sauce?
This sauce is super versatile, so you can serve it up with just about any savory dish you want! Some of my favorite options include salads, sandwiches, burgers, tacos, burrito bowls, and grilled meats.
What is chipotle sauce made of?
Most chipotle sauces are made from a base of yogurt, mayonnaise, garlic, lime juice, and chipotle peppers. The chipotle pepper is key in getting that smoky, spicy flavor.
How long can you store homemade chipotle sauce?
This sauce can be stored in the fridge for up to a week, as long as it’s kept in an airtight container. I don’t recommend freezing it, as dairy-based sauces don’t thaw out well.
More Healthy Condiment Recipes
If you liked this recipe, try these next:
Creamy Chipotle Sauce
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo (double for spicy)
- 1 garlic clove (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1/2 lime, juice
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.