This Chicken Fajita Casserole has all the elements of traditional fajitas - chicken breast, peppers, onions, and fajita seasoning - all cooked in a creamy, delicious casserole. Jump to Recipe
This is no ordinary casserole dish! Chicken fajita casserole packs a ton of punch in flavor and nutritional value. Marinated lean chicken breast gets topped with caramelized veggies and gooey shredded cheese. It’s a hearty meal that your household will love!
I love cooking with chicken breast because it’s a blank canvas. Chicken breast is a nice healthy lean protein and it’s so easy to cook. It always satisfies even the pickiest eaters!
This chicken casserole dish is foolproof. The marinade guarantees juicy and tender meat. It’s made up of cream cheese, salsa, and broth. The fajita seasoning adds nice depth and richness. The onions and peppers get perfectly caramelized. The shredded cheese melts beautifully and bubbles at the top.
Not only is this dish delicious, but it requires just 15 minutes of prep time. Most of the work happens in the oven! It’s a great way to mix up fajita night. This casserole checks all the boxes for me. Healthy, comforting, quick, and easy. And it’s a crowd-pleaser!
These are some of the key ingredients you will need to make this easy chicken casserole at home:
- Chicken Breasts: I went with chicken breasts because they are a nice, lean protein. You’ll slice the chicken breast in cubes to speed up the cooking time.
- Yellow Onion: Caramelized onions add so much depth to this dish. They’re key to fajitas!
- Bell Peppers: Just like onions, bell peppers are critical for fajita night! I like to use both red and green for the color and distinct aromas. The red bell peppers add a bit of sweetness while the green peppers are more herbaceous.
- Light Cream Cheese: It’s lower in fat and helps break down some of the muscles in the chicken breast to give you more juicy meat.
- Salsa: Adding salsa to your chicken marinade gives it some nice tang and freshness!
- Fajita Seasoning: It packs a ton of punch. Make your own by following this recipe.
- Chicken Broth: The broth adds a lot of umami while also ensuring your chicken breast is succulent and tender.
- Shredded Mexican Cheese Mix: You want all the grated cheese to melt beautifully for a nice gooey texture.
Note: For a full list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make this dish, scroll to the bottom!
What To Serve With Chicken Fajita Casserole
For a low carb meal, serve this casserole dish alongside some cauliflower rice. I have a great cilantro lime cauliflower rice you have to try. For a heartier meal, serve with some white rice or warmed tortillas.
Some other incredible side dishes you can serve with this dish are:
Recipe Tips And Ideas
Follow these tips and you’re guaranteed to nail this casserole dish:
- Cut your chicken breast into relatively evenly sized small cubes so they cook quickly and evenly.
- When you sauté your onions and peppers, you want them to get soft and lightly caramelized. However, you do not want to take them all the way because they’ll finish caramelizing in the oven.
- For a perfectly bubbly, golden-brown top, broil your casserole for a couple of minutes at the very end.
Frequently Asked Questions About Chicken Fajita Casserole
You’ve got questions. I’ve got answers! Here are some of the most common questions I get on this recipe.
Can you bake raw chicken in casserole?
You absolutely can! This recipe does not involve browning the meat in advance. You simply place your marinated, cubed chicken breast right into the baking dish. Top with veggies and cheese. Bake and enjoy!
Can I use cooked chicken?
Yes! To save time, you can easily substitute shredded rotisserie chicken. You’ll only need to bake the dish for 10 to 12 minutes to warm the chicken through and melt the cheese. Don’t forget to broil your casserole for a bubbly, golden-brown top.
How long does chicken fajita casserole keep in the fridge?
Any leftovers can be stored in an airtight container. It keeps for 3 days so you’ll have plenty of time to enjoy your delicious creation.
What is the best way to reheat chicken fajita casserole?
Cooked chicken always seems to taste so much better when it’s reheated in the oven. Scoop your desired serving into a baking dish. Reheat at 350°F until fully warmed through, for about 10 to 15 minutes depending on your serving size.
Can I freeze chicken fajita casserole?
For the best results, it’s ideal to make this recipe fresh. That said, if you’re in a pinch and need to meal prep ahead of time, you can make some of the components individually and put it all together at a later date.
- Marinate the chicken.
- Sauté the onion-pepper mixture. Let it cool.
- Store both in separate airtight containers or plastic food bags. Freeze for up to a month for the best results.
- Thaw in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Assemble and top with shredded cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
More Delicious Fajita Recipes You’ll Love
Chicken Fajita Casserole
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.33 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- 2 tbsp water (more as needed)
- 1 U yellow onion, sliced
- 1 U red pepper, sliced
- 1 U green pepper, sliced
- 1/2 U lime, juice
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- 1 cup salsa (thick and chunky)
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded Mexican cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- Cooking spray
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.