Easy low carb shrimp tacos are ready in less than 20 minutes and make an amazing dinner. Keto friendly with a delicious avocado cabbage slaw. Jump to Recipe
I could easily eat shrimp tacos every day and be happy. Growing up in New England, we ate a ton of seafood but I never had a shrimp taco until moving out to California. Immediately I fell in love with the combination of the sweet shrimp, smoky heat, and the obligatory creamy crunchy slaw. It's really a perfect marriage of flavors.
These Chipotle Shrimp Tacos get their spice ancho chili powder, which is made from smoked jalapenos also known as chipotle peppers. They are quickly cooked in a pan (you could also grill them) and paired with a quick and easy slaw packed with cilantro and avocado. Throw this all in some slightly charred tortillas and it makes one delicious meal.
Is shrimp low carb?
Shrimp is a great option for anyone following a low carb or keto diet since it has less than one gram of carbohydrates in a 4 ounce serving.
What are the best low carb tortillas?
- Low carb tortillas: There are lots of different low carb tortillas on the market depending on your needs. You can find options that are similar to traditional tortillas like Carb Counters Tortillas by Mission or La Tortilla Factory High Fiber Tortillas. You can also find options made using coconut flour, almond flour, and even cauliflower flour in specialty grocery stores or online.
- Lettuce wraps: For a truly low carb option, you can use lettuce wraps. I find that butter/Bibb lettuce and Romaine lettuce work the best. You can also use collard greens or cabbage.
- Cauliflower tortillas: Another option is to make your own low carb tortillas like these four ingredient cauliflower tortillas that have just 4 grams of net carbs.
- Jicama: For something crunchy and slightly sweet, use very thinly sliced jicama for your tacos.
Recipe Ideas for Low Carb Shrimp Tacos
- Switch up the spice level: It's easy to adjust the amount of heat in these tacos. For more spice, add some extra chipotle chili powder, cayenne pepper or add fresh jalapenos to the slaw. To tame the spice level, use regular chili powder instead of the chipotle chili powder. You can also leave out the chili powder completely and add some extra paprika for color and flavor.
- Add sweetness: Depending on your carb needs, this is delicious with some fresh mango or pineapple. Just fold into right into the slaw.
- Try other proteins: If shrimp isn't your thing, this spice rub will work with all kinds of protein. Use it on salmon, chicken, pork, or steak.
- Make a bowl: Instead of serving tacos, make a taco bowl. Start with a bed of cauliflower rice, add the shrimp, slaw, sliced avocado, and some canned black soybeans. Top everything with extra lime juice and some queso fresco.
How to make shrimp taco seasoning?
Shrimp tacos are a great quick and low carb meal that you can whip together for a quick weeknight meal. Having your taco seasoning ready to go in the cabinet makes this process even faster. Use this seasoning on shrimp, chicken, fish, pork, steak, and even tofu. Great for the saute pan, oven, or grill. Use 1-2 tablespoons for each pound of protein.
- 4 tbsp. ancho chili powder (chipotle chili powder)
- 2 tbsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. paprika
- 2 tbsp. oregano
- 1 tbsp coriander
- Directions: Mix together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months. Kick up the flavor with onion powder and garlic powder as well.
How to grill shrimp for tacos?
Grilling shrimp is another great option for tacos. However, they can be a little tricky to grill since they are small and cook quickly. The best way to grill shrimp is either using a grill basket or skewers. This way you are sure they won't fall through the grill grates.
Once you are ready to grill, they will take about 2 minutes per side. Shrimp cook very quickly, so keep an eye on them to make sure they don't burn or overcook. It is also important to spray or the grill so the shrimp doesn't stick.
In a pinch, you can also grill shrimp on a piece of foil. Simply grab some heavy duty foil and make a small basket using the foil. Place the shrimp in a single layer and cook right in the foil basket. Cook for about 2 minutes and then shake and continue cooking until shrimp are ready. Do not seal the foil or the shrimp will steam.
Low Carb Chipotle Shrimp Tacos
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.33 lbs. shrimp
- 1 tsp. ancho chili powder (chipotle chili powder)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 U avocado
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 U green onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp. lime juice (or more)
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 8 U low carb tortillas
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.