Italian sausages, peppers, and onions - just thinking about it makes me hungry. However having a street style sausage and pepper sandwich just isn't in the cards for me most of the time since they normally pack in close to 900 calories per sandwich. Luckily using a leaner chicken or turkey sausage with lots of vegetables, you can make a delicous substitute at home that is sure to make any weeknight dinner special.
For this dish, I wanted to stick with classic Italian flavors so I opted for sweet Italian sausages, tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, onions, and mushrooms paired with garlic and Italian seasoning. I usually add some red pepper flakes as well and top everything with Parmesan cheese, lemon, and fresh basil. If you wanted to go the sandwich route, you could easily use half a serving and stuff it into some delicious bread.
Looking for a side dish for this meal? Here are some recipes to consider - creamy spinach polenta, cauliflower potato mash, Parmesan cauliflower mash, simple spaghetti squash, garlic spaghetti squash, or creamy ricotta spaghetti squash.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
One Pan Roasted Italian Sausage, Tomatoes, and Zucchini
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 U low fat chicken sausages (sweet or spicy Italian)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 U red pepper
- 1 U green pepper
- 1 U sweet onion
- 2 cups mushrooms (whole or halved)
- 2 U zucchini, cut into rounds
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 4 U garlic cloves, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss the tomatoes, peppers, onion, mushrooms, and zucchini with the olive oil, Italian seasoning, and garlic in a glass baking dish. Season with salt and peppers.
- Nestle the sausages into the vegetables. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until the sausages are fully cooked.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.