One Pan Italian Sausage, Tomatoes, and Zucchini
This easy One Pan Italian Sausage, Tomato, and Zucchini dish is the perfect meal for a busy night! It's so easy to throw together, versatile, and healthy.
Italian sausages, peppers, and onions - just thinking about it makes me hungry. However, having a street-style sausage and pepper sandwich just isn't in the cards for me most of the time. Luckily, it's really easy to create a healthier version of this dish at home using a leaner chicken or turkey sausage with lots of vegetables, you can make a delicious substitute at home that is sure to make any weeknight dinner special.
For this dish, I wanted to stick with classic Italian flavors so I opted for sweet Italian sausages, tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, onions, and mushrooms paired with garlic and Italian seasoning. I also love this version with sausages, roasted potatoes, peppers, and onions.
To finish the dish, I like to add some red pepper flakes as well and top everything with Parmesan cheese, lemon, and fresh basil. If you wanted to go the sandwich route, you could easily use half a serving and stuff it into some delicious bread.
Why We Love This Recipe
There are so many reasons to love this recipe!
- Versatile: Make this with any combination of sausage, vegetables, and seasoning you like! Plus it can be served in so many ways from sandwiches to pasta to grain bowls.
- Easy: Once the vegetables are chopped, just dump everything in a baking dish. That's all it takes. Use prechopped vegetables for an even faster meal.
- Affordable: This recipe is made with easy-to-find, affordable ingredients. Plus since it is versatile, you can take advantage of whatever sausages are on sale.
- Healthy: As long as you choose a healthy sausage option, this meal is packed with lean protein and vegetables.
Recipe Ideas and Variations
There are so many ways to make this dish your own.
- Try this dish with different flavors of sausages to change up the flavors. Consider using sweet or spicy Italian sausage, roasted red pepper sausage, chicken apple sausage, or smoked sausages. This will work with chicken, turkey, pork, or vegetarian sausages.
- This recipe uses raw chicken sausages. If you start with precooked chicken sausages, cut the cooking time down to 20-15 minutes. Add the sausages to the dish for the last 15 minutes so they don't get tough.
- Change up the veggies! Just make sure to choose veggies that cook in a similar amount of time. Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans asparagus, thinly sliced carrots, or kale are all great options.
- Try this with different dried herbs and seasoning options. It turns out great with blackening seasoning, lemon pepper, Greek seasoning, or Cajun seasoning.
- Finish this dish with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, fresh herbs, lemon juice, or balsamic vinegar.
Side Dish Ideas
This dish is delicious served with rice, quinoa, farro, or a bowl of cooked pasta. Or get more creative! Here are some recipes to consider serving with these yummy roasted sausages and vegetables.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some of the most common questions about preparing this dish.
Can this be made on a sheet pan?
This recipe works great on a sheet pan as well. Make sure to coat the pan with cooking spray. use a pan that is large enough that the vegetables won't be too crowded.
Can this be made with precooked or smoked sausage?
This dish works great with precooked and smoked sausages. Just cut the cooking time down to 20-25 minutes so that the sausage doesn't get tough.
What's the best way to get crispier vegetables?
Since this recipe is cooking in the baking dish, the vegetables will get pretty soft as they cook. If you prefer roasted vegetables, then cook this on a sheet pan. Start by cooking just the sausages for about 15 minutes. Then add the vegetables to the sheet pan and cook for 15-20 minutes until they are roasted and cooked to your liking. Make sure they have space on the sheet pan and aren't too crowded.
One Pan Italian Sausage, Tomatoes, and Zucchini
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 4 low fat chicken sausages (sweet or spicy Italian)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 sweet onion
- 2 cups mushrooms (whole or halved)
- 2 zucchini, cut into rounds
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.