Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice that tastes just as good as your favorite restaurant dish but is low carb, keto, and packed with veggies. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
There is almost nothing better than finding a healthier alternative for one of your favorite recipes and this Low Carb Cauliflower Fried Rice is just that. It has all the traditional flavor of fried rice but is made with cauliflower. Serve it with some Healthy Kung Pao Chicken or Mongolian Beef for Chinese takeout inspired meal that's good for you.
Cauliflower is the king when it comes to low carb swaps and with its adaptable nature and ability to soak up flavors, it's no surprise that it makes the most popular substitute for rice. However, the key to making cauliflower rice taste really delicious is infusing flavor into every bite and that's just what this cauliflower fried rice recipe does.
The first layer of flavor starts with nutty sesame oil, green onions, garlic, and ginger. This combination ensures that the cauliflower isn't bland. Then to keep the textures interesting, I like to add carrots and cabbage. This adds crunch. The scrambled eggs add yet another texture as well as a boost of protein. Then everything is finished with soy sauce, the signature element in fried rice.
The other great thing about this recipe is that there are so many ways to customize it and use it. Swap in different veggies to change up the flavor, add a protein like cooked chicken or shrimp, kick up the flavor with Sriracha or hoisin sauce. There are so many options.
How do you make cauliflower into rice?
Start by washing and drying your cauliflower. Cut off the stem and cut the cauliflower into florets or large pieces. You can also buy pre-cut florets.
Add the cauliflower to a food processor, making sure not to overfill the food processor. Then pulse until the cauliflower is broken down into small rice like pieces.
If you want to skip making your own cauliflower rice, you can look for frozen cauliflower rice, fresh cauliflower rice, or shelf stable options.
Recipe Ideas and Tips
- Add protein: This recipe is great with all kinds of added protein. Add cooked chicken, shrimp, pork, or ground turkey. You can also add cooked tofu or edamame for a vegetarian protein source.
- Add half regular rice: Since I can't always get my whole family on the cauliflower rice train, sometimes I use half cauliflower rice and half pre-cooked brown rice. This makes it more filling and makes it a bit more family friendly.
- Leave out the eggs: If eggs aren't your thing, feel free to leave them off. The recipe will still turn out great.
- Make it spicy: For a spicy option, add some Sriracha to the pan along with the garlic and ginger. You could also add a fresh chopped jalapeno.
- Add sweetness with pineapple: For something sweet, add chopped fresh pineapple to your fried rice. Add it alongside the carrots and cabbage and let it caramelize slightly.
- Add crunch: If you want to add some crunch, protein, and healthy fats, add some chopped cashews or peanuts to your rice.
Can you freeze cauliflower fried rice?
You can freeze this cauliflower fried rice after preparing it. Make sure to store it in an airtight container, I like to store it in a plastic storage bag that can lie flat in the freezer. To reheat, simply microwave or cook in a hot skillet with some sesame or olive oil. It will stay good for 3-4 months.
Meal Prep Ideas
This recipe is great for meal prep. Start by making up a big batch on the weekend and then add different proteins for lunch. My favorite easy option is a rotisserie chicken or some cooked ground turkey. Then add edamame, lettuce wraps, chopped cashews, or fresh pineapple or mango.
Can I use frozen cauliflower rice? What about shelf stable?
Absolutely! Any kind of cauliflower rice will work and by choosing something that's already cut down into rice, you can make this rice in less than 10 minutes.
With frozen rice, I like to press out some of the moisture before cooking it so that it can still get some of that browned, fried rice texture and taste.
More Cauliflower Rice recipes
Cauliflower Fried Rice
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tsp vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 U egg
- 1 U egg white
- 4 U green onions, chopped
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 1 U carrot, grated
- 4 U cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.