Healthy Mongolian Beef tastes better than your favorite take-out version with a good-for-you spicy and garlicky sauce and plenty of flavor.
Healthy Mongolian Beef is better than take-out and it won't hurt your waistline or wallet.
Taking classic Asian take-out dishes and figuring out a healthier way to make them at home is one of my favorite kitchen challenges. Partly because I am almost always in the mood for any type of Asian take-out and also because I am always shocked by how many calories many Asian dishes have that are completely unnecessary. With so much extra oil and sugar, it's normally not that hard to make a delicious dish that is much better for you than the take-out version.
This healthier Mongolian Beef recipe uses a simple sauce of soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, hoisin, chili paste, and a touch of sugar. Once that is made, the rest of the meal comes together in about 5 minutes. The beef cooks up in 2-3 minutes, the green onions are added, and then everything cooks in the sauce until it thickens up. Served with some brown rice, noodles, or cauliflower rice and it is one delicious, healthy meal.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Healthy Mongolian Beef
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. sugar (leave out for low carb/Clean eating)
- 1 tsp. cornstarch
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 2 tsp. vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. ginger, minced
- 1 U garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb. lean sirloin beef, thinly sliced across the grain
- 16 U green onions, chopped
- Stir together the soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch, rice vinegar, hoisin, and chili paste.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, and beef. Cook for 2-3 minutes until beef is browned. Add the green onions and cook for 30 seconds. Add the sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly, until it thickens.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.