These simple stir-fried vegetables are tossed in a delicious stir fry sauce made with soy sauce, rice vinegar, and honey. This quick and easy side dish is ready in under 10 minutes, making it the perfect accompaniment for all sorts of healthy weeknight meals.
Whenever I’m looking for something easy to make after a long day, stir-fries are always my go-to meal. All you have to do is toss a bunch of veggies into a skillet with a basic stir fry sauce, and in less than 10 minutes you’ve got a super delicious dish.
You can serve these simple stir-fried vegetables as a side dish or add diced chicken breast to the mix to transform it into a tasty and easy meal.
My stir-fry sauce of choice is made with soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey, and a little cornstarch to thicken it up. When tossed with the fresh or frozen veggies of your choice, the results are seriously epic.
Usually, just grab a bag of Asian stir-fry vegetables from the grocery store, but this recipe is also a great way to use up any veggies you have lying in the fridge that you have no clue what to do with.
Serve this dish with steamed rice or quinoa and grilled chicken, steak, or fish for a complete meal your whole family will be drooling over.
You could also skip the grains or swap them with cauliflower rice for a delicious low-carb and keto-friendly meal. There are plenty of ways to make alterations to this dish to make it your own, so get ready for a delicious stir-fried vegetable recipe that you’ll crave again and again!
Here are the ingredients you’ll need to make this healthy stir fry recipe.
- Stir Fry Vegetables: You can use a frozen bag of mixed stir fry vegetables or chop up your favorite fresh veggies. Some of my favorites include broccoli, asparagus, zucchini, snow peas, carrots, mushrooms, and bell peppers.
- Soy Sauce: I like to use low-sodium soy sauce to keep the salt levels down. You could also swap for tamari or coconut aminos to make this dish gluten-free.
- Rice Vinegar: This helps to balance out the savory and sweet flavors of the dish while brightening it up. You could also use white wine vinegar if needed.
- Honey: The natural sweetness in honey rounds out the dish and turns it into a meal that tastes gourmet with very little effort. You can make this stir fry recipe vegan by swapping the honey for brown sugar or maple syrup.
- Cornstarch: This is essential for thickening up the stir fry sauce and helping it to thoroughly coat the veggies.
- Garlic and Onions: These are the base of any stir fry dish because they add tons of delicious flavor.
- Fresh Ginger: For the best flavor, opt for fresh ginger root if you can. Ginger paste will also work in a pinch.
Tips for the Best Stir-Fried Vegetables
Here are some of my top tips to help you make the best stir-fried veggies:
- Prep first. This might sound like a no-brainer for some of you, but I highly recommend prepping your veggies and sauce ingredients before you start cooking. Stir fry dishes move quickly, so having everything chopped and measured is super helpful to prevent any mistakes or unnecessary stress.
- Don’t overcook the veggies. Your vegetables could take anywhere between 7 and 12 minutes to cook, so make sure to keep an eye on them and taste as you go. You want tender-crisp veggies, not mushy ones.
- Use a large wok or skillet. The key to achieving perfectly tender-crisp veggies is giving them enough space to cook without getting soupy. A large skillet allows for more surface area.
Looking for tasty ways to switch things up? Here are some fun variations to try:
- Add some protein. If you want to add protein to this dish, try adding cubed chicken breast, thinly sliced steak, shrimp, scrambled eggs, or tofu.
- Give it some crunch. For some variation in the texture, add a crunchy ingredient like water chestnuts, chopped cashews, or baby corn.
- Make it spicy. If you love spicy food, kick things up a notch by mixing in a drizzle of sriracha or Asian garlic chili paste.
- Add a tropical flair. For a deliciously sweet and tangy tropical flavor, try adding some pineapple juice or diced pineapple chunks.
How to Store Stir-Fried Vegetables
You can easily double or triple the recipe and store the leftovers to enjoy over the next few days. Once your veggies have cooled completely, transfer them to an airtight container and store them in the fridge for 4-5 days. To reheat, simply toss the veggies back onto a hot skillet and cook until warmed through.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most common questions about these simple stir-fried vegetables:
These stir fry veggies are already jam-packed with flavor, but you can easily add a few extra ingredients to spice things up. Fresh herbs like basil or cilantro, lime juice or zest, sriracha, sesame oil, and lemongrass are all great ways to add extra flavor to the dish.
Absolutely! If you’re using fresh veggies, you can chop them up to 24 hours in advance and store them in an airtight container in the fridge until you’re ready to cook them. You can also make the sauce in advance and store it in a separate container in the fridge.
No, you can use any store-bought stir fry sauce you like if you don’t feel like making your own or don’t have the ingredients you need. You could also use hoisin sauce for a sweet and tangy twist.
Stir Fried Vegetables (Works for Any Veggies!)
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 16 oz. Asian vegetable stir fry mix
- 4 oz water chestnuts, sliced (optional)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger , minced
- 4 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (GF if needed)
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.