Slow Cooker Sausage and Gnocchi Soup is the perfect way to kick off the fall season. Made with chicken sausage, gnocchi, and tons of flavorful veggies, this delicious slow cooker soup guarantees to have you begging for more. Jump to Recipe and Video
It’s officially soup season and you know what that means. Get ready to see lots and lots of soup recipes here at Slender Kitchen! If you’re looking for the ultimate healthy fall soup recipe, this is the one. Slow Cooker Sausage and Gnocchi Soup is everything the perfect soup should be—wholesome, hearty, and bursting with flavor.
I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite things about colder weather is trying out new soup recipes. From classics like my French Onion Soup to soul-warming dishes like my Cheesy Cauliflower Soup, I have tried and loved many, many soups.
This Slow Cooker Sausage and Gnocchi Soup has been a huge crowd-pleaser on many occasions. I’ve served it at family dinners, neighborhood potlucks, and game day parties. Every single time, the response has been overwhelming. People love this soup!
When I serve this healthy fall soup, I like to top it off with fresh parsley and parmesan cheese. This combo adds the perfect balance of freshness and richness, making it even more delicious. Serve it on its own or alongside your favorite salad for a meal you will be thinking about long after it’s gone.
Sausage and Gnocchi Soup Ingredients
To bring this hearty fall soup to life, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Chicken sausage: You can use any kind of chicken sausages you like. Be sure to check the label and only get the plain or Italian kind. Turkey, pork, and plant-based sausage will also work as well chicken breast, chicken thighs, and ground meat. Just up the seasoning. Both raw and precooked sausage will work. For extra flavor, brown the sausage before adding it the the slow cooker.
- Gnocchi: These are made with potatoes, flour, and eggs. When cooked into this flavorful soup, the soft and pillowy texture is melt-in-your-mouth delicious.
- Vegetables: You will need onions, carrots, celery, mushrooms, and spinach. These veggies add tons of incredible flavor and beneficial nutrients.
- Chicken broth: I prefer to use the low sodium kind. If you use regular chicken broth, just leave out the additional salt.
- Canned tomatoes: A can of diced tomatoes helps give the soup a beautiful color and textural contrast. I like to get the kind that comes pre-seasoned with Italian seasoning, but feel free to use the plain kind if that’s all you have and add some Italian seasoning.
- Spices: I keep the spices fairly simple here because we already get tons of flavor from the sausage, broth, and veggies. All you need is salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning.
Recipe Tips and Substitutions
Looking for ways to make this sausage and gnocchi soup even better? Here are some of my top tips and substitution ideas:
- Don’t have a slow cooker at home? No problem. You can cook this dish in a large pot on the stove by cooking it over medium-low heat for 45 minutes to develop a rich flavor. Wait until the last 20 minutes to add the spinach and gnocchi.
- Feel free to swap out the spinach for other leafy greens like kale or cabbage.
- If you’re a spicy food lover, try adding some crushed red pepper just before serving the dish. Keep in mind that the longer you let the red pepper flakes sit in the hot soup before serving, the spicier the soup will be.
- Want to make this soup creamy? Add some cream cheese or half and half.
- You can make this dish vegetarian by swapping out the chicken broth for vegetable broth and swapping the chicken sausage for a plant-based sausage. Alternatively, you could leave out the sausage altogether and just make a gnocchi soup.
- For a picture-perfect presentation, garnish this dish with a sprinkle of fresh basil and parmesan cheese. You can also give it a little extra kick with some cracked black pepper or crushed red pepper.
How to Store Sausage and Gnocchi Soup
When it comes to storing soup, it’s important to allow it to cool to room temperature before transferring it to an airtight storage bag or container. You will want to store soup in shallow containers, so if you make a huge batch, have a few containers ready to hold it all.
I highly recommend making a big batch of this amazing soup so you can enjoy it over the next few days. It also thaws and reheats really well, so you can freeze it to enjoy over the next few months. Once you’ve transferred your soup to airtight containers, you can store it in one of two ways:
- In the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- In the freezer for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this healthy soup recipe:
Is this dish healthy?
Yes! This dish is packed with fresh veggies, which provide a ton of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It’s also got plenty of protein, thanks to the chicken sausage, and a satisfying amount of carbs from the gnocchi. It’s the perfect healthy recipe for fall. For a lower sodium option, make sure to use low sodium broth and canned tomatoes. Then look for a low sodium sausage or swap in this Homemade Italian Sausage made with ground turkey and spices.
What can I use instead of chicken sausage?
If you don’t have chicken sausage or want to try something else, there are a few different routes you can take. For another type of sausage, try turkey or pork sausage. For something other than sausage, try chicken breast. For a vegetarian option, try a plant-based sausage or leave the meat out altogether and add beans.
Can I make this soup low carb?
Absolutely. For a low-carb option, try using cauliflower gnocchi instead of regular gnocchi. Trader Joe’s has a great one. It may sound strange if you’ve never tried cauliflower gnocchi before, but trust me when I say it tastes delicious in this soup!
How can I make this soup creamy?
I love mixing parmesan cheese into this soup before serving it to add a creamy component. You can also make this dish even creamier by mixing in some half and half or cream cheese.
More Tasty Soup Recipes
Like this recipe? Try these next:
Slow Cooker Sausage Gnocchi Soup
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 4 U chicken sausage links, sliced
- 1 U onion, chopped
- 2 U carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 U celery ribs, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 20 oz can diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups spinach
- 10 oz. package gnocchi
- Get IngredientsNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.