Mongolian Tofu is a vegan version of your favorite take-out dish that is ready in about 15 minutes, easy to make, and delicious.
Mongolian Tofu is a healthy and vegetarian version of the classic Chinese takeout dish - Mongolian Beef. It's made with crispy tofu, an addictive sweet and savory sauce, green onions, and shredded carrots. Served with a hearty serving of brown rice or soba noodles, it's a dinner you will make again and again.
One of my favorite challenges when it comes to cooking is taking my favorite take-out dishes and making them healthier at home. So when a friend told me she needed a way to curb her Chinese take-out habit and also needed it to be vegetarian, I couldn't wait to dig in. After a long conversation, we determined her krypotonite was Mongolian Beef. She loves the sweet and salty sauce and the crispy texture. But when she found out it normally packs around 500 calories per serving, it was time to find something else. Plus with a vegetarian sister, she wanted something she could make for both of them.
The first step was to pick out a substitution for the beef. Since we needed something crispy, I decided tofu would be the best option since it's easy to get it nice and crispy on the outside. They key to doing this is pressing the tofu first using a press or paper towels so that the tofu has significantly less moisture. This means the tofu can get nice and crispy. Then there is the sauce. It's a simple combination of soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, and hoisin sauce. Sweet and savory. You can add a touch of Sriracha as well if you want something spicy. Finally there are some veggies and that's dinner. Delicious and easy.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 3 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce (GF if needed or coconut aminos)
- 2 tsp. sugar (leave out for low carb)
- 2 tsp. cornstarch (divided)
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp. ginger, minced (more to taste)
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 16 oz. extra firm tofu, pressed and cubed
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 12 U green onions
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- Mix together the first eight ingredients (using only half the cornstarch) to create the sauce.
- Heat the skillet over medium high heat. Toss the tofu in the remaining cornstarch. Add the oil to the skillet. Add the tofu and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side until crisp. Add the green onions, carrots, and sauce. Cook for 3-4 minutes until sauce thickens and green onions are tender, stirring occasionally. Top with additional fresh green onions if desired.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.