These Bean Tostadas feature a crave-worthy combination of black beans, salsa, and veggies served over crispy corn tortillas. This vegan tostada recipe is perfect for piling high with toppings like shredded cabbage, avocado, corn, cilantro—you name it!
I could go on for days about my love for tostadas and if you’re anything like me, you’ve likely spent hours online trying to find the next best combination. Over the years, I have experimented with all sorts of tostada recipes, from chicken to turkey to ceviche to grilled vegetable and more. Today it’s time for beans!
These Bean Tostadas are so simple, yet they are easily of my favorite tostadas I have ever created. Why is that? Sometimes, my friends, simplicity is key.
This mouth-watering Mexican-inspired tostada recipe is easy to prepare, perfect for Meatless Mondays, super affordable, and serves as the ultimate base for all sorts of toppings. We also love these Mushroom Tacos for a vegetarian Mexican meal.
Trust me when I say that this is one healthy recipe that you don’t want to miss. It’s great for weeknight meals with the family or a DIY tostada bar for a little fun on the weekends. Because these easy bean tostadas work great with a wide variety of toppings, everyone has the chance to customize their meal just how they like.
Black bean lovers also won't’ want to miss these Easy Black Bean Tacos and Black Bean Bowls.
What You’ll Need
All you’ll need to make these amazing bean tostadas are a few simple ingredients, most (or all) of which you may even have laying around at home:
- Beans. I’ve used canned black beans for the sake of convenience, but you can also cook your own using my slow cooker black beans recipe. Any canned or homemade beans will work. If you’re using canned beans, make sure that they’re drained and rinsed.
- Salsa. Choose your favorite salsa—mild, medium, or hot salsa all work fine. When cooked with the beans and veggies, this makes for a mouth-watering tostada base. It also adds tons of flabvor without needing to add lots of different spices. It’s a great shortcut.
- Bell peppers. I love using a combination of red and green bell peppers in this dish, but feel free to use any colors you like.
- Onions. The sharpness of the red onions contrasts beautifully against the creaminess of the beans. If you want to tame down the sharpness a bit, feel free to soak the onions in ice water before using them.
- Tortillas. I always use my fool-proof homemade tostada shell recipe to whip up my own shells from corn tortillas. They’re way lighter than fried tostada shells, but with the same delicious crunch and flavor.
Best Tostada Topping Ideas
While the beans are the undisputed stars of these tostadas, we can’t forget about the toppings! And there are a lot of options to work with here. You could load it up with my Creamy Avocado Salsa Verde, guacamole, or any other sauce that you love. Here are some more of the best tostada topping ideas:
- Queso fresco or shredded cheddar cheese
- Iceberg lettuce or shredded cabbage
- Pulled pork
- Pico de Gallo
- Sliced avocado
- Shredded carrots
- Sliced radish
- Cherry tomatoes
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Chicken tinga
Delicious Tostada Combinations to Try
This is the fun part! While I love to enjoy these bean tostadas in all their simplistic glory every now and then, I also love switching things up based on my mood and sometimes going crazy with toppings. Here are some of my favorite tostada combinations to try:
- Tangy Twist. This combination is incredibly easy but tastes so good! Just mash your black beans to help them act as a binder, add some shredded cheese and chipotle crema, then top off with some pickled red onions, jalapenos, and plenty of fresh cilantro. Make sure that your beans are warm so they’ll melt down the cheese for a gooey, cohesive mixture.
- Extra protein. If you’re feeling particularly hungry, then add some extra protein with leftover cooked meat. It’s super filling and I don’t think I’ve ever managed to finish more than two. Try using leftover shredded chicken or steak.
- Mexican Pizza. Pizza meets tostada to create one of our all-time favorite indulgences. First, you’ll need to create a base using mashed beans, low-fat sour cream, and a mix of your favorite spices. Spread it on a tostada shell, sprinkle on some cheese, and top it off with some onions, black olives, tomatoes, and cilantro.
- Add more veggies: I love adding some mushrooms to these tostadas for even more flavor and texture.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this bean tostada recipe:
Can I swap the black beans for other beans?
Of course! Swapping out the black beans for pinto or refried beans is actually one of my favorite ways to play around with this vegan tostada recipe. You can even season your beans with chili powder or cumin to make them extra flavorful.
How can I store these tostadas?
Whether you’re prepping ahead of time or just storing leftovers, I suggest storing each component of this dish separately in different airtight containers. That way, you’ll be able to keep your tostadas from getting soggy. The beans can last for up to 3-5 days in the fridge while the cooked veggies should be good for up to 2 days. The shells can stay fresh at room temperature for up to 2-3 days.
Should I use corn or flour tortillas?
It’s corn all the way for me! They’re more sturdy than their flour counterparts, can handle more toppings, and are naturally gluten-free. Plus, the flavor is way better in my opinion.
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 green pepper, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thin
- 30 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup salsa (any kind will work)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp water or broth (more as needed)
- 8 corn tortillas
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.