This Honey Chipotle Salmon with Mango Salsa has the perfect combination of savory, sweet, and spicy. Perfectly cooked salmon with a honey and chipotle glaze served with a cool mango avocado salsa to balance the heat. It's on the table in just 15 minutes and is seriously delicious.
This recipe for Honey Chipotle Salmon with Mango Salsa is a fresh and flavorful meal your family will love. Easily made on the grill or in the oven, you’ll be surprised at how quickly it comes together in less than 15 minutes.
One of my favorite summer meals is Salmon Tacos with mango and corn salsa. However last week I wanted to step things up for a small dinner party and this salmon recipe was born. It couldn't be easier to make but feels special with the sweet and spicy glaze and delicious mango and avocado salsa. It was a huge hit and something I will be making again and again.
Want to learn more about cooking with salmon? You can also read the whole low-down on salmon I recently pulled together here.
Why You Are Going to Love This Honey Chipotle Glazed Salmon
- Versatile: No salmon in the fridge? No problem use mahi mahi, tuna, or whatever else you have on hand. Tofu works well too. Grocery store all out of fresh mangos? No problem, use frozen or substitute with papaya instead.
- Fresh and flavorful: The mango salsa really adds a nice fresh flavor to the salmon.
- Easy to prepare: Though it may sound fancy and complicated this really is a no-fuss recipe.
- Family favorite: Everyone loves salmon so there’s no need to make separate meals.
Key Ingredients and Easy Swaps
To make this salmon with mango salsa recipe you will need a few key ingredients:
- Salmon: We love salmon for its light and flaky texture and how versatile it is. We use skinless boneless Coho salmon but any kind of salmon filet will work.
- Honey: A touch of honey sweetens up the salmon and allows it to get nice and caramelized. If you are out of honey you can swap it for maple syrup or brown sugar.
- Chipotle peppers: I like to keep a can of chipotle peppers in the fridge. You can puree them or mince them and transfer them to a storage container to use whenever you want to add a little bit of a smoky spicy flavor to your food. If your family doesn’t love spice you can leave out the chipotle peppers or reduce the amount. You can also substitute a touch of ancho chili powder or use smoked paprika.
- Lime juice: Fresh lime juice is best but bottled will work if you don’t have any fresh limes.
- Mango: Fresh ripe mango makes the salsa nice and flavorful. If you can’t get your hands on ripe mango you can substitute with pineapple or papaya. Or swap out this salsa altogether and use pico de gallo, this grilled pineapple salsa, or prepare a side of this grilled watermelon instead.
- Avocado: Ripe avocado adds some creaminess to the salsa. It also balances out the spice in the chipotle glaze.
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro always makes salsa taste great in my books. If you aren't a fan of cilantro, swap in fresh basil or leave it out.
- Red onion: Red onion adds a nice color and a touch of crunch. Swap in green onions for a milder flavor.
- Cumin: Just a touch of cumin for a little flavor and smokiness.
- Salt and pepper: Season with salt and pepper to enhance the overall flavor.
How To Make Salmon with Mango Salsa
This salmon recipe comes together in just 4 simple steps.
1. Make the glaze
Stir together the honey, chipotle puree, and lime juice. Give it a taste and adjust the spice level and sweetness if needed.
2. Prepare the salmon and salsa
Place the salmon on a piece of foil for easy cleanup. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Then brush the fish with the chipotle and honey glaze. Let it rest as you make the salsa.
Prep the salsa by combining the mango, avocado, cilantro, red onion, cumin, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Taste and season as needed.
3. Cook the salmon
Place the salmon on the grill and close. Cook for 8-10 minutes until salmon is cooked through and flaky. For oven cooking, cook for 8-10 minutes at 500 degrees and broil for the last minute for a caramelized top.
Cooking time may vary depending on the thickness of the salmon filet and how well done you like your salmon.
Side Dish Ideas
The great thing about this salmon dish is that it goes with pretty much everything but here are a few of our favorites:
- Vegetables: This salmon dish would go well with these Summer Grilled Vegetables, a classic Garlic Grilled Broccolini, or these Grilled Sweet Potatoes.
- Grains: Serve the salmon with Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice, this Southwestern Quinoa Salad With Black Beans, Corn, and Avocado, or this Coconut Cauliflower Rice.
- Salad: Pair the salmon with a fresh salad like this Southwestern Sweet Potato, Kale, and Quinoa Salad, this Easy Arugula Salad, this Grilled Vegetable Salad, or this refreshing summertime Watermelon, Feta and Mint Salad.
Meal Prep Salmon
You really can’t go wrong with this chipotle honey salmon as you can prepare it in advance and just cook it when you are ready. Here are a few ways you can do this:
- Pull the salmon and the glaze together in the morning and let the salmon marinate all day. Or if time is of the essence in the morning just make the glaze. That’s still one less thing to do at dinner time.
- Make the mango salsa a day or two in advance so it’s ready to go when your salmon is ready. I suggest you double or triple the recipe so there is enough salsa to snack on with some corn chips.
- Prepare the dish on Sunday and store it in the fridge to eat later in the week. It will keep for a few days. It’s so great knowing there is a meal ready to go in the fridge on those busy weekday evenings.
- Turn it into a delicious salmon bowl with rice or quinoa. This dish tastes delicious hot, room temperature, or cold.
How to Store Leftover Salmon and Salsa
- Fridge: Leftover salmon and salsa can be kept for 2-3 days in the fridge in an airtight container.
- Freezer: You can freeze leftover salmon for up to 3 months but I don’t suggest you freeze the mango salsa. Freezing will change the texture so if you can eat it fresh that’s best. Leftovers can be eaten with other dishes or on their own with some corn chips.
- Thaw: Thaw frozen salmon in the fridge.
- Reheat: Reheat the salmon by placing it in the toaster oven or microwave though salmon also tastes great cold.
Here are a few things you can do to ensure your meal does not disappoint
- Buy the best quality salmon: We find it is worth it to buy the best quality fish as it usually tastes better.
- Have chipotle peppers on hand: These peppers last a long time so it is worth keeping a can of them pureed in the fridge. They are great to add to soups, stews, tacos, burritos, or just about any dish you want to add some heat to.
- Room temperature limes: We find it easier to juice limes that have come to room temperature. If you want to add more lime flavor you can zest the lime and add it to the glaze.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most common questions about making this recipe.
Yes, if you have frozen salmon filets in the freezer thaw them overnight, and then you can use them to make this recipe. Ensure the salmon is completely thawed so it absorbs the flavors of the honey chipotle glaze.
Yes, if you are looking to get some serious meal prep done you can prepare this recipe a few days in advance. Or you can prepare the glaze and the salsa and store them in the fridge until you are ready to cook the salmon.
Honey Chipotle Salmon with Mango Salsa
- Get in your Inbox
- 1.5 lb wild salmon (I like Coho salmon)
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp chipotle peppers, pureed or minced (adjust to taste)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 mango
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- 1/8 cup red onion
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.