This Southwestern Sweet Potato, Kale, and Quinoa Salad with a creamy avocado lime dressing makes a delicious and hearty meatless meal.
Lately I have been on a salad kick and been making all kinds of hearty, healthy salads for dinner. I have also been obsessed with avocado dressing made with creamy avocado, yogurt, lime juice, and cilantro. So when I was staring into the pantry trying to plan dinner the other night I decided that kale, spicy sweet potatoes, and quinoa would be the perfect combination. Paired with that creamy avocado dressing - it's one delicious meal. As an added bonus, it my opinion in only gets better after a night in the fridge. The dressing soaks into everything and the flavors get deeper. And don't worry, with all the lime juice, the avocado doesn't brown and since kale is hearty it doesn't get soggy.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Southwestern Sweet Potato, Kale, and Quinoa Salad
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 cup rainbow quinoa
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, diced small
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 tbsp. water
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, sliced thin
- 1 U avocado
- 2 U limes, juice
- 1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 U jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Normally this means bringing the quinoa and water (1 cup quinoa to 2 cups water) to a boil. The cover and turn down to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes and then turn off the heat. Let steam for 5 more minutes.Fluff with fork.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes, chili powder, paprika, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to coat and then add the water. Turn the heat down to medium low heat. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tender, shaking the pan a couple of times.
- Meanwhile, blend the avocado, lime juice, yogurt, jalapeno, and cilantro in a blender or food processor. Season with salt and pepper. This will be the dressing for the salad.
- Toss together the quinoa, sweet potatoes, kale, red onion, and avocado dressing. If desired, massage the kale with a touch of salt before adding it to soften it.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.