These easy roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Tacos are made with the most delicious homemade taco seasoning. They are easy to make, filling, and full of flavor. No one will miss the meat in these tasty vegetarian tacos.
For today's post, I have a fantastic plant-based, meatless taco recipe that you'll definitely want to make again! These Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos have so much flavor and couldn't be easier to make. Everything cooks on a single sheet pan for a truly simple meal.
When it's a clean-out cupboard type of night, I usually think about 3 types of meals – soups, stir-fries, and tacos. Soups are generally a terrific catch-all for cleaning out the fridge or pantry, and stir fry comes in a close second place. However, one of my favorites (no surprise!) - is tacos.
These types of clean-out cupboard tacos usually end up having some combination of beans and vegetables with a simple spice blend. Today, I switched things up by simply roasting some sweet potato, black beans, and cauliflower. The results were delish!
To make sure it was filling, I added a can of black beans from the pantry. Simple, quick, and healthy – they are a great meatless dinner option.
Key Ingredients For Sweet Potato Tacos
This is a very healthy recipe that is packed with heart and gut-healthy ingredients. Here is a little more information about what I used - and how you can save time.
- Cauliflower Florets: Either cut up some fresh cauliflower or use frozen florets that are already chopped up.
- Sweet Potato: Peel and cube the sweet potato into small bite-sized pieces. Since this will be in your taco, you need the pieces to be small enough to eat easily.
- Onion: I think red onion tastes the best with the sweet potato and the rest of the ingredients. Slice it really thin.
- Lime Juice: Fresh lime juice will always taste the best, but you can also use jarred lime juice. If you don't have lime juice, you can use lemon juice as a quick replacement.
- Olive Oil: Olive oil is what you'll place on the vegetables before you roast them. You can use avocado oil as a replacement.
- Taco Seasoning: Use either your own homemade taco seasoning or the jarred kind from the store.
- Black Beans: Rinse and drain canned black beans before you use them. If you want to cook your own black beans, that will work too.
- Tortillas: I used small taco-sized corn tortillas, but flour tortillas will also work.
Note: For a full list of ingredients and detailed instructions on how to make these tacos, take a look at the printable recipe card at the bottom of this post!
Recipe Tips And Ideas
Follow these tips to make sure that these tacos turn out delicious every single time!
- To make the tacos spicier, top with sliced jalapenos or a few splashes of hot sauce.
- Swap in regular potatoes if you like for the sweet potatoes. Butternut squash will also work.
- If you prefer a different type of bean, this works with pinto beans, garbanzo beans, or white beans. You could also leave out the beans entirely.
- Turn this into a tostada by baking the corn tortillas in the oven for 6-8 minutes until they become browned and crispy.
- These can also be served in flour tortillas, wrapped up in lettuce, or a low-carb wrap.
- Add some crispy roasted mushrooms instead of cauliflower, like the ones in this easy Mushroom Tacos recipe.
What To Serve With Sweet Potato Tacos
What you serve with these meatless sweet potato tacos depends on whether you want to create a completely meatless meal or not.
For a meatless meal, I suggest making Mexican cauliflower rice. It's packed with similar flavors and really good for you too. You might also enjoy some Crock-Pot pinto beans on the side. They are made with garlic and onion and are incredibly tasty.
If you are looking to add some more veggies to your plate, you could make a Mexican chopped salad with honey-lime dressing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers...
How do you make your own taco seasoning?
I have a taco seasoning recipe that I love so much that I don't buy the jarred kind anymore. It consists of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, oregano, red pepper flakes, and cayenne pepper. Since I enjoy making tacos so often, I will make a large batch of this seasoning and keep it in my pantry.
What toppings can I add to these tacos?
The toppings on the tacos are the fun part! Add your favorite taco toppings. Try it with some queso fresco, pico de gallo, or even homemade guacamole and shredded spinach or lettuce. This creamy chipotle sauce or roasted salsa verde is also super tasty.
I'm not vegetarian; can I add meat to these tacos?
Yes, feel free to use your favorite meat in these tacos too. Shredded pork or chicken are popular choices to fill tacos, or you could even make some taco meat from ground turkey. If you want a no-cook option, just add some rotisserie chicken.
Are hard taco shells or soft taco shells better?
This is entirely a matter of personal preference. If you enjoy the crunch of hard taco shells, use them! In fact, you can make your own crispy baked taco shells. You might even enjoy piling the veggies on top of some crunchy tostada shells.
More Delicious Vegetarian Taco Recipes You’ll Love:
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- Get in your Inbox
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed (small)
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 14 oz canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- Salt and pepper
- 8 corn tortillas
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Switch to prevent your screen from going dark.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.