Vegetable Tostadas (Grilled or Roasted)
These easy Vegetable Tostadas are the perfect quick and easy Mexican meal packed with grilled or roasted vegetables, avocado, cheese, and all the best toppings on a crispy, crunchy corn tortilla. Fast, easy, and healthy!
These easy Vegetable Tostadas made with roasted or grilled vegetables make the perfect meatless meal that's ready in just 20 minutes!
It's seriously the tastiest meal with crunchy baked tostada shells covered in caramelized veggies, avocado, cheese, and salsa. It's almost like a giant veggie nacho.
When I think about plant-based meals, Mexican recipes are at the top of the list. Between amazing meatless tacos like these Sweet Potato Tacos and guisados like Rajas Con Queso, vegetarian food is anything but boring when you add Mexican flavors.
But one dish that is often overlooked is the tostada. While Chicken Tostadas and Shrimp Tostadas are everywhere, we hardly ever see vegetable versions. Well, that changes today!
In less than 20 minutes, you can make these veggie tostadas using any vegetables you have at home. The vegetables are packed with flavor from a quick homemade spice blend that has the perfect amount of heat. Throw them on the grill or roast them in the oven. Then layer everything on the crispy tostada shell.
This version doesn't have beans, but you could add a layer of refried black beans or pinto beans as well if you like.
I top these tostadas off with a quick homemade fresh salsa, pickled onions, avocado, and some shredded cheese. All-in-all it's a perfect quick plant-based meal!
How to Make Vegetable Tostadas
Making these vegetable Tostadas couldn't be any easier!
- Make the salsa: First, toss together the tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, and chopped jalapeno for the salsa. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Season the vegetables: Add the veggies you are grilling to a large bag or bowl with a lid. Toss with olive oil, spices, salt, and pepper.
- Grill or roast the vegetables: Grill the veggies right on the rack or use a grill basket if you prefer. They'll only need about 5-8 minutes to cook. Flip them about halfway through to ensure that they cook evenly all the way around. To roast, place them in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast at 425 for 12-16 minutes until browned on the edges. The exact cooking time will depend on the vegetable being used.
- Make the tostada shells: Next, crisp up the tortillas to make them tostadas. Put them directly on the grill and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side until they are good and crispy. Alternatively, place them right in the oven on the oven rack. Bake for 5-8 minutes until lightly browned and crispy.
- Assemble the tostadas: Top the crispy tostada shells with veggies, salsa, avocado, cheese, and any other ingredients you like!
Best Vegetables and Toppings for Tostadas
- Bell peppers
- Spicy peppers like jalapenos, poblanos, etc.
- Zucchini and yellow squash
- Avocado or guacamole
- Mushrooms (like from these Mushroom Tacos)
- Shredded lettuce (as a cold, crunchy topping)
- Green onions
- Roasted corn
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
Veggie Tostada Variations
There are so many ways to customize these easy veggie tostadas.
- Add protein: If you want to add some protein options to these veggie tostadas, grilled shrimp, chicken tinga, and pork go great. You can also use chickpeas and/or tofu for a vegetarian protein option.
- Add beans: Add protein and fiber with a layer of refried beans or black beans. In a pinch, you could also use bean dip or hummus.
- Mix up the salsa: You don't have to make salsa yourself either. Any kind of your favorite salsa will work on these. Or add a fruit salsa to mix up the flavor profiles a bit.
- Low carb: Use a low-carb tortilla or high-fiber one if you want the added nutrients/less carbs.
- Change the tortillas: The best tortillas for making tostadas are the corn variety, but any kind will work. Just keep them on the smaller side, so they can get nice and crisp on the grill. Larger ones will be harder to crisp up, and even harder to eat!
- Try different cheeses: Use any kind of cheese you like — favorites of mine include pepper jack and queso fresco.
- Try different vegetables: This recipe works with any combination of cooked and raw vegetables you like. It's a great way to repurpose leftovers.
- Make tacos: If you prefer soft tortillas instead of a crispy tostada shell, turn these into grilled vegetable tacos with all your favorite toppings.
Ideas for Leftovers
If you love leftovers, then you're in for a treat! We'll often make at least double the number of veggies on the grill that we'll need for one meal because we look forward to tomorrow's leftovers as much as today's meal.
Here are some ideas for leftover grilled veggies to get you started. Make this recipe once, and you'll become a grilled veggie addict like me in no time!
- Add leftover grilled veggies to a bed of lettuce for a different take on salad. These taco-seasoned vegetables work great on a taco salad or burrito bowl.
- Make veggie quesadillas with leftover veggies and uncooked tortillas.
- Put the grilled vegetables on top of a veggie wrap or sandwich. Add hummus or another bean-based spread for extra flavor and protein.
- Grilled vegetables are amazing mixed into leftover pasta. Add a little olive oil and sprinkle with parm when warmed up to reawaken their flavor.
- Toss grilled veggies into a hearty soup base, like minestrone or another vegetable soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most common questions about making these tostadas.
What is the difference between a tostada and a tortilla?
There is one main difference — one is soft and one is grilled (or oftentimes fried or baked) until crispy. A tortilla may also be cut into triangles and then fried to make chips.
I grill my soft tortillas to crisp them up myself without using a bunch of oils and fats to make them crispy. You can also purchase tostadas already crisped up in the same aisle as tortillas.
Can tostadas be healthy?
Tostadas are an easy dish to make healthy as long as you bake the tortillas instead of deep frying them. Made with mostly beans and vegetables, tostadas have so many healthy ingredients.
Vegetable Tostadas (Grilled or Roasted)
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 lime, juice
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 summer squash, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup queso fresco (or shredded cheese)
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
Place the tortillas directly on grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until they crisp up. To cook in the oven, place them directly on the oven rack for 5-7 minutes until browned and crispy. Watch the tortillas closely since they burn quickly. Top the tortillas with grilled veggies, tomato salsa, avocado, and cheese.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.