I am really excited to be sharing this amazing recipe from my friend Holly over at Trim and Terrific, and it's definitely going on my Superbowl menu.
I swoon over the creamy, tangy deliciousness that is queso. It’s so hard to resist ordering it any time I see it on a menu. You will find that most recipes for making queso call for the “processed cheese product” we all know and love as Velveeta. I wanted to create a cleaned up, lightened up version of this classic party favorite. My delicious version of Chili Con Queso is easy to make, better for you, and is made with real cheddar cheese.
This Chili Con Queso makes the perfect appetizer for parties or treat for game night. I love serving this sensational dip in a fondue pot. The queso stays just the right temperature and you don’t have to worry about it getting scorched by sitting on the stove for too long. I’m all about reducing the amount of fuss involved in my recipes.
I’m also happy to report that this fabulous healthy queso is completely gluten-free. The recipe takes just minutes to prepare, and is a real crowd-pleaser. It tastes fantastic served with tortilla chips, vegetables, cubed bread, or even apples.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Chili Con Queso
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 U onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup light beer
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 10 oz. canned diced tomatoes and green chilies, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add the onion and garlic and saute until tender.
- Add the light beer and cook until reduced slightly, about one minute. Then add one cup of milk and heat until mixture almost is boiling.
- Whisk the cornstarch into the remaining 1/4 cup milk. Add this to the skillet and cook until it is thick and bubbling. Turn the heat heat down to low and stir in the remaining ingredients. Stir until cheese melts and is fully incorporated.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.