Chicken Salad with Grapes is sweet, creamy, and makes a delicious healthy lunch for sandwiches, salads, and more.
Healthy Chicken Salad with Grapes is lightened up with Greek yogurt but still super creamy and delicious. Serve it as a sandwich, on salad greens, stuffed in tomatoes, or with crackers. And don't miss this classic Healthy Chicken Salad or Curried Chicken Salad.
One of the questions I hear most often from people when it comes to healthy eating revolves around lunch. While people have no problem figuring out a healthy dinner, for some reason, lunch falls to the wayside. Many people find they rely on frozen meals and convenience foods instead of preparing something at home. I am here to tell you that making a healthy lunch at home doesn't have to be hard. And it all is going to start with this delicious chicken salad.
Here's the plan. Head to the grocery store on Sunday and grab a rotisserie chicken. If you are feeling ambitious you can cook your own chicken on the grill or in the slow cooker. Take 10 minutes to shred or chop the chicken. Spend another five minutes making this chicken salad with grapes. You have lunch for the week.
Except I don't want you to get bored by the second day, so here is your plan for serving it. On Monday, make a chicken salad wrap with some greens. On Tuesday, add some curry powder to your chicken salad and serve it with crackers, carrot sticks, and apple slices. On Wednesday, grab a big bowl of greens and your favorite veggies. Scoop the chicken salad on top and sprinkle on some chopped walnuts and goat cheese. On Thursday, make a chicken salad melt with wheat toast and a slice of sharp cheddar cheese. Finish out the week with some lettuce wraps or a classic sandwich prep.
Recipe Ideas for Chicken Salad with Grapes
Once you start making this recipe and see how adding red grapes to chicken salad is something you want to do all the time, you'll also want to experiment with some variations of this recipe. Here are some ideas to consider:
- Add curry: Try adding some curry powder to your chicken salad to add some spice and heat. The warm flavors of the curry powder work great with the sweetness of the grapes.
- Add walnuts: For some crunch, consider tossing in some chopped walnuts. You could also try chopped or sliced almonds, cashews, or sunflower seeds.
- Add poppy seeds: Another option for some extra crunch is to use poppy seeds.
- Add dill: Instead of tarragon, switch things up with some fresh or dried dill instead. It adds a ton of freshness to the dish.
- Add pineapple: Think outside of the box and add some chopped fresh or canned pineapple. It adds a lot of sweetness and it completely unexpected.
- Add apples: For even more sweetness and crunch, add some diced apples to your chicken salad with grapes.
How to make shredded chicken?
Whenever I share a chicken salad recipe, there are always lots of questions about the chicken. In our house, 99% of the time I am using a rotisserie chicken. It's just the easiest option and super affordable. However, you can also make your chicken from scratch. Here are the two main ways I would suggest making shredded:
- Slow Cooker: Add the chicken breast to the slow cooker. Season it with salt and pepper. Cook it on low for 3-4 hours until cooked through but not dry. Shred once it is cool. Most chicken breast has enough liquid that there is no need to add any extra cooking liquid. If you are worried about your chicken breast burning, you can add 1/2 cup of chicken broth or water.
- Poaching: Place the chicken breast in a large pot and cover it with water so there is an inch of water above the chicken. Add any seasoning you like to the water. Bring it to a boil and then turn down to a simmer. Cover and cook for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the chicken continue to cook in the water for 15 minutes. Do not open the lid until the end of the cooking process. Let cool and shred.
How long does chicken salad with grapes stay good in the fridge?
Generally speaking, chicken salad will last in the fridge for 4-5 days as long as it is stored in an airtight container. When I know I will be keeping it most of the week, I like to pack the grapes separately since they can get soggy after a few days. Chicken salad doesn't freeze well.
Ways to Serve Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Go classic and make a sandwich with lettuce, sprouts, and red onion. Pair it with some whole wheat or whole grain bread. Make it open-faced to lighten things up.
- Try making a wrap using a low carb tortilla or wrap. Add a thin layer of Dijon mustard for some extra flavor and fresh baby spinach or arugula.
- For a low carb option, serve it on a bed of green with all your favorite veggies for a salad. You can also wrap it in lettuce wraps.
- For a fun appetizer, serve it on cucumber or apple slices. You can also serve it in some endive or butter lettuce leaves.
- Pack it up with your favorite crackers or pita chips, apple slices, and carrot sticks for a homemade "bistro" box.
Healthy Chicken Salad with Grapes
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1.5 cups cooked boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup red grapes, halved
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard (more to taste)
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.