Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken with tender chicken thighs, olives, sweet red peppers, and onion couldn't be more delicious and is healthy too. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken cooks low and slow in the crockpot to create an amazing dish packed with moist chicken thighs, olives, red peppers, onion, Italian spices, capers, and plenty of flavor.
I forget how much I love olives some times. I think it all started with my Mom who loved eating toast with cream cheese and those little mini green pimento olives. We would steal bites as kids and I remember thinking it was equally delicious and disgusting. I couldn't really decide if it was something I liked. Fast forward and now I will happily eat just about any type of olive. I love the salty brine and bite of a really good olive as much as I love the aforementioned jarred green olives with cream cheese. Go figure.
So lately when I was looking for recipe inspiration, I saw a jar of my favorite Castelvetrano olives and knew they had to be a part of dinner. Naturally I began to think of Mediterranean dishes and flavors since they are a natural fit for olives - red peppers, lemon, capers, onion, thyme, rosemary, you get the idea. And from there it was easy to build a simple, yet insanely tasty, slow cooker recipe with all these flavors. The slow cooker is the perfect vehicle since it allows everything to cook together and develop an intense, complex flavor and it means you can throw everything in and walk away. Love that.
When you are making this Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken, keep the following things in mind.
- Although I made this with chicken thighs since they stay nice and tender, you can also make this recipe with chicken breasts (skinless, bone-in for a more flavor), skinless chicken drumsticks, or even a pork tenderloin or trimmed pork shoulder.
- While the slow cooker is the easiest option in my opinion, this is definitely a recipe that can be made stove-top or even in the oven. For a stove-top version, using a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan, add the chicken and let it brown on each side. Remove it and saute the onions and garlic. Then add the remaining ingredients and let everything cook for about 45 minutes on a simmer until the chicken is fork tender. For an oven option, add everything to a glass baking dish and cover with foil. Cook it at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through, removing the foil during the last five minutes of cooking so the chicken can brown.
- When it comes red peppers for this dish, you have two options. For a more savory option, use roasted red peppers. For a sweeter option, use the jarred peppadew or sweet cherry peppers.
- Olives are an important part of this dish and add a lot of flavor, so make sure to choose an olive that you would happily eat on its own. While I love green Castelvetrano olives, you could use Kalamata olives, black olives, or really any good tasting olive.
Looking for more healthy slow cooker chicken recipes?
- Slow Cooker Chicken Carnitas
- Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken
- Slow Cooker Goddess Chicken and Artichokes
- Slow Cooker Coconut Basil Chicken
- Slow Cooker Italian Red Pepper Chicken
- More healthy slow cooker chicken recipes
Here are some of the products I used when making this recipe.
- Slow Cooker: There are so many different slow cookers on the market but I personally use this one that allows me to brown, sear, or saute in the same pan. Plus I find the cooking temperature to be really even and consistent.
- Olives: As I mentioned, my favorite olives for this recipe are green Castelvetrano olives. Usually I buy mine from the olive bar a our local grocery store or order them online, which is usually more affordable.
- Peppers: As I mentioned you can use roasted red peppers or sweeter peppadew peppers for this recipe. Both turn out delicious. Fresh peppers will also work but the flavor won't be as intense since they haven't been roasted beforehand. If you like heat, you could also use the spicy peppadew peppers for this recipe.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 U sweet onion, sliced thin
- 3 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup roasted red peppers, chopped (or peppadew peppers)
- 1 cup olives (any kind)
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. capers (optional)
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 U bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1 U lemon (juice for serving)
Add the olive oil to a saute pan over medium high heat. Brown the chicken on both sides. Remove the chicken and set aside. Add the onions and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes until tender.
Add the chicken, onion, garlic, and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours or until chicken is fork tender. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve with fresh lemon juice.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.