This Slow Cooker Italian Red Pepper Chicken is simple, packed with flavor, and versatile. Serve it over pasta or rice, in a sandwich with melted cheese, layered on a pizza, or even scrambled into your morning eggs.
For a long time, I have been making this Slow Cooker Tomato Balsamic Chicken dish on the regular to have for quick and easy weeknight dinners, but lately, I have been looking to kick up the recipe a bit as I have been craving all things spicy.
Red pepper flakes were a no-brainer, but I also want to deepen the flavor of the sauce with something new and decided bell peppers were the perfect thing. With their sweet flavor, they balance out the red pepper flakes and black pepper perfectly. They also add another vegetable component, which is always a win.
The other key to building flavor in this recipe is the Italian seasoning and balsamic vinegar. The combination of dried herbs adds tons of flavor without needing to measure lots of different herbs and spices. The balsamic vinegar adds some sweetness and makes the dish taste rich and complex.
Recipe Ideas and Tips
- Make it creamy: Before serving this dish, consider adding some cream cheese to the slow cooker. Add it right to the pot and give it a good stir until it melts and transforms the sauce into something creamy and delicious.
- Leave out the spice: If you don't like things spicy, simply make this without the red pepper flakes. It will still have tons of flavor.
- Add extra veggies: Add some extra veggies to this recipe. You could add some kale at the beginning of cooking or stir in some spinach in the last ten minutes of cooking. Other options include green beans, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, or artichoke hearts. Since they all cook quickly, add them in the last 15 minutes of cooking so they don't overcook.
- Try different tomatoes
Slow Cooker Italian Red Pepper Chicken
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 20 oz. canned diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 3 U red peppers, sliced
- 1 U sweet onion, sliced
- 2 U garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (or more, optional)
- 1 tsp. black pepper (more to taste)
- 1 tsp. salt
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.