Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken is sweet, spicy, and seriously delicious plus it's healthy and all the hard work is done by your crockpot. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken is the perfect meal as we approach warmer spring and summer months. Not only is all the work done by the slow cooker meaning you never have to turn on the stove, the mango salsa screams summer with its bright and fresh flavors. I have been making versions of this dish for years with a homemade jerk sauce but recently came across a packaged jerk seasoning mix that does all the hard work for you. It's delicious, balanced, and means you don't have to spend time measuring out tons of individual spices.
Now when it comes to making this dish, there are some adjustments you may want to make depending on the jerk seasoning you use. Start by tasting your jerk seasoning to test out the spiciness. Some seasonings are mild and some are incredibly spicy. For a milder seasoning you can add some extra cayenne pepper and for a spicy mixture, you may need to use a little bit less or add a touch more sugar to balance it out. Then depending on your diet, you can decide if you want to swap out the brown sugar (traditionally used) for honey or agave. You can also leave it out completely (Paleo, Whole30, or low carb) since the mango salsa will add some sweetness to the dish.
The fun part comes in deciding how to serve this - there are just so many delicious things you can do with this Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken
- Go traditional and serve it over a big pile of steaming white or brown rice. Classic and delicious. You can also use cauliflower rice, cabbage rice, or broccoli rice for a lighter option.
- Wrap it up in lettuce leaves or cabbage cups for a healthier take on the dish and one that is perfect for hot weather.
- One of our favorite ways to enjoy this dish is as tacos. Warm up some corn tortillas and stuff them with the jerk chicken, mango salsa, and some shredded green or purple cabbage for crunch,
- If you want to step outside the box, this chicken is killer in enchiladas. You can use a store bought wet jerk sauce as the "enchilada sauce" and add some shredded jack cheese on top. Trust me -it's delicious.
- Not into chicken thighs? You can definitely use chicken breast, pork tenderloin, or pork shoulder (takes 8 hours) in this recipe.
Looking for more slow cooker chicken recipes?
- Slow Cooker Coconut Basil Chicken
- Slow Cooker Tomato Balsamic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken
- And more
Here are some things I used to help prepare this recipe:
- Slow Cooker: There are so many different slow cookers on the market but I personally use this one that allows me to brown, sear, or saute in the same pan. Plus I find the cooking temperature to be really even and consistent.
- Jerk seasoning: There are lots of different ones on the market but I usually reach for this dry rub or this sauce, which can also be used in the recipe. Most supermarkets carry at least one brand of jerk seasoning with the spices.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Slow Cooker Jerk Chicken
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3 U garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp jerk seasoning (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar (leave out for low carb, Paleo, Whole30)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 U mango, chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp red onion, diced
- 1 U lime, juice
- Salt and pepper
Stir together the garlic, jerk seasoning, brown sugar, orange juice, pineapple juice, and lime juice. Arrange chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker and season with salt if not included in the jerk seasoning. Pour seasoning mixture over top. Stir to coat the chicken.
Cook on low for 4 hours. Shred chicken and let hang out in the sauce for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile make the salsa by tossing together the mango, cilantro, red onion, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Serve on top of the chicken.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.