This simple Stovetop Shredded Taco Filling is the key to make quick and healthy tacos, burrito bowls, lettuce wraps, and more.
I almost always make my shredded chicken for tacos in the slow cooker but this past weekend I was doing some meal prep on Sunday night and suddenly decided I really wanted shredded chicken instead of the grilled chicken I had planned on. Since it was already late and I didn't have time for the slow cooker, I made this simple stovetop version instead.
The key to keeping the chicken nice and tender is to start the chicken in cold water or broth instead of adding it to already boiled water. Then once it is boiled, just let it simmer covered for 8-10 minutes and you have perfectly moist chicken. You can add any spices you like to the broth to kick up the flavor. I like a simple blend of garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Store bought taco seasoning would also work great. Then use the chicken for tacos, burrito bowls, salads, or quesadillas.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Stovetop Shredded Chicken Taco Filling
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- Add the chicken broth and spices to a large pot. Add the chicken and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, turn down to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 8-12 minutes until chicken is cooked through, being careful not to let it overcook. Remove from pan and shred with forks.
- Add chicken back to pan and let simmer in the liquid for 5 minutes to enhance the flavor.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.