Slow Cooker Frijoles Charros or Mexican Cowboy Beans
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 lb dry pinto beans, rinsed and sorted
- 1 U onion, diced
- 2 U jalapenos, diced and seeded
- 3 U garlic cloves, minced
- 3 U tomatoes, chopped
- 4 U pieces bacon
- 1 U green pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth, boiling ( or vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup cilantro
Chop the bacon slices into small pieces and saute until crispy in a small pan.
In your slow cooker, add the beans, onions, jalapenos, pepper, tomatoes, garlic, salt, cumin, and oregano.
Cover the beans with about 6 cups of boiling chicken or vegetable broth. You could also use water but I like the additional flavor of broth. Make sure the water is boiling – this essentially eliminates the need to soak the beans overnight and is a good trick when cooking beans in the crockpot.
Add in the crispy bacon and the bacon drippings from the pan. Stir together and cook on low for 6-8 hours until beans are soft and tender.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.