Black beans are a staple for me during summer months. I love serving them as a side dish, using them in all kinds of hearty salads, and throwing them in morning breakfast tacos which seems to be all I want to eat for breakfast on summer weekends. While it's easy to reach for canned store bought beans, making your own at home is just as easy. Here is my simple recipe for slow cooker black beans. They don't require any extra soaking and after about 8 hours, you'll have creamy delicious black beans. One trick, when you want "cleaner" beans, like the kind that would come out of a can, just rinse and drain the homemade beans before using.
It's also really easy to mix up these black beans to create different flavor profiles. Here are three of my favorites:
- Plain: Eat it as is! It’s delicious all on it’s own.
- BBQ: Add 1 cup of your favorite BBQ sauce to the slow cooker, adjusting points and calories accordingly.
- Cuban: Add 2 chopped bell peppers, 4 extra garlic cloves, 1 tsp. oregano, 1 tsp. cumin, and 2 bay leaves to the slow cooker.
videocam Slender Kitchen Videos
Sunday Slow Cooker: Black Beans
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- Add everything to the slow cooker. Cover the beans with water or stock until there is one inch of water over the beans.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.