Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Parmesan Crusted Chicken with a crunchy breading made with Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, basil, oregano, and garlic makes the best crispy baked chicken breast.
There is nothing better than this Parmesan Crusted Chicken that can be eaten as a main dish or used in all kinds of dishes including chicken parmesan, a delicious salad, or layered in your favorite bread for a healthy crispy chicken sandwich.
No one loves sacrificing their favorite foods because they are watching what they eat but if we want to see changes, we need to re-think the foods we love and come up with healthier ways to enjoy them. This Parmesan Chicken is one of those. It takes all the delicious flavor of the heavier, fried dish and wraps it into a lighter, baked option that is just as delicious.
Now let's talk about Parmesan Crusted Chicken for a minute. There are two main ways that this dish is typically prepared. The first, similar to the version I am sharing today, is most similar to a chicken cutlet. The chicken is dredged in eggs and then coated in a combination of breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. The Parmesan cheese adds a nutty flavor and helps make the coating extra crispy.
The second way this dish is prepared is with mayonnaise in place of the eggs. The chicken is coated in a thin layer of mayonnaise and then breaded with the chceese and breadcrumbs. The mayonnaise helps to keep the chicken really moist. If you prefer this option, you can substitite mayonnaise for the eggs. You will need about one tablespoon of full fat or light mayonnaise for each piece of chicken. Just brush a thin layer on both sides of the chicken and follow the same directions.
In both of these, we take the traditional chicken cutlet and take it up a notch. To boost the flavor, this time I decided to crust the chicken in a combination of Parmesan cheese and breadcrumbs to amp up the flavor and it came out great. This recipe is just for the chicken, which would also be great on its own or on top of a salad.
Ways to Serve Parmesan Crusted Chicken
This chicken is like the blank canvas of prepared chicken. You can incorporate it in SO MANY different ways into lots of healthy meals.
- Add marinara sauce on top of the chicken and place it on a bed of high-fiber, whole wheat, or veggie noodles.
- Slice the chicken into strips and eat it (hot or cold) on top of a nice garden salad.
- Add sliced chicken to a low-carb tortilla with shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, and sun-dried tomato hummus for a healthy, portable lunch.
- Dice the chicken and put into lettuce leafs with your favorite toppings for a low-carb meal.
- Slice the chicken into tenders before breading and cooking and you have yourself a new recipe for chicken fingers!
- Add diced chicken to leftover pasta with some diced veggies and a little Italian dressing. Now you have a yummy, healthy, protein-packed pasta salad!
- Two words: Mediterranean tacos. Use a low-carb tortilla, layer in some sliced parmesan-crusted chicken, add a little marinara, black olives, sliced, cooked (or canned) mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, and some shredded mozzarella cheese. Serve hot or cold.
- Stuff the chicken in a Russet or sweet potato with your favorite toppings.
- Mix diced chicken in with some steamed veggies and top with more parmesan.
- How about using the chicken in some of these Buffalo Chicken Celery Bites? They make a great finger food or appetizer.
- Roll the sliced chicken up with other veggies in a Spring Roll.
- Add the chicken atop a bed of Cauliflower Rice with a few cherry tomatoes and other veggies that you enjoy.
What Other Ways Can I Cook This Parmesan Crusted Chicken?
The key to this chicken is the breading/crust. You want it to be, well...crusty, not soggy. So there are really only a couple of ways I would recommend to cook it for it to be its most enjoyable.
Baked. In my opinion, baked is the best way to ensure this chicken is nice and crispy and the Parmesan flavor really shines through. Follow the directions below for the most perfect baked Parmesan Crusted Chicken.
Grilled. If you don't feel like firing up the oven (it's summer, and it's too hot, for example) you can certainly grill this chicken. I would suggest you lay down a layer of aluminum foil first and spray it with cooking spray to keep the breading from falling between the grill grates and burning. Grill over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes on each side.
Stovetop. A cast-iron or enamel skillet works well on the stovetop for browning this chicken on both sides. Make sure you add olive oil or cooking spray to the pan before adding the chicken. Brown evenly on both sides for about 6-8 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the meatiest part of the chicken reads 165 degrees F.
Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Print Recipe
- Download PDF
- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into cutlets and pounded thin (or tenders)
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 4 egg whites (or 2 eggs)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 Salt and freshly ground pepper
Like this Recipe? Try our Meal Plans!
- Weekly Meal Plans
- Easy Shopping List
- Healthy, Low Carb, & Vegetarian
- Nutritional Information
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.