Baked Chicken Parmesan with spaghetti squash is a healthy way to enjoy your favorite comfort food guilt free. It's simple to make, under 350 calories, and has all the crispy, cheesy goodness of the original. Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
This Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parm is a good for you twist on a classic Italian dish and one that our family loves. They even request it! In our house its on the rotation with this healthy eggplant parmesan and healthy chicken parm.
My husband absolutely loves chicken Parmesan but for a long time I didn't make it because he just couldn't get behind a baked version. He wanted the traditional, greasy, fried version covered with a mountain of melted cheese. Lucky for me, he recently committed to trying to eat healthier, and is finally open to trying out a healthier version of his favorite dish. And he was shocked at how much he loved this spaghetti squash chicken parm.
Since this is a low carb chicken parmesan with spaghetti squash, I opted to use Parmesan cheese, basil, and oregano to make the coating for the chicken. This replaces the breadcrumbs in the traditional version but ensures you still get a nice crunchy exterior. Then it's baked until browned and crispy and covered with your favorite marinara sauce and cheese. I opted for spaghetti squash instead of pasta but you could definitely use regular pasta if you prefer. Zucchini noodles would also be delicious.
Can I make this into a spaghetti squash chicken parmesan casserole?
If you want to make more of a casserole style chicken parmesan, its possible with a few changes. First cook the spaghetti squash and chicken. Then cover the bottom of a baking dish with spaghetti squash. Add more sauce on top. Then add a layer of chicken, a layer of cheese, and a layer of sauce. You can repeat this until the dish is full. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling.
Could I use alfredo sauce for a Spaghetti Squash and Chicken Alfredo?
Absolutely! Instead of using marinara sauce you could use your favorite homemade or store-bought alfredo sauce. Sometimes I like to use half alfredo sauce and half marinara sauce. Yum.
Tips for Making Spaghetti Squash Chicken Parm
- Depending on how much time you have, you can bake or microwave the spaghetti squash. It takes about 45-60 minutes in the oven and about 15 minutes in the microwave. Usually I make it in the microwave since I can cook it while the chicken is baking.
- If you are trying to accommodate growing kids or bigger eaters, you can also mix together spaghetti squash and traditional pasta to make a heartier, more filling dish. I am perfectly happy with a dish of just chicken parm and spaghetti squash but others may want more.
- If you want a more breadcrumb like coating, add in either 1/4 cup of seasoned breadcrumbs with the Parmesan coating or some almond flour.
How to cook spaghetti squash?
Spaghetti squash is one of our favorite ingredients when we are trying to lighten up traditional pasta dishes and recipes. It's incredibly versatile and with just 42 calories per cup along with tons of vitamins and minerals, it's a really healthy choice. There are tons of different ways to cook spaghetti squash, here are the five most popular:
- Roasting: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and cut the squash in half. Remove the seeds. Spray with cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil. Place them cut side down on a baking sheet and cook for 35-45 minutes until tender.
- Microwave: Pierce the squash with a fork or knife all over to create holes for the steam to escape. Place the whole squash on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 10-15 minutes (depending on size of squash and strength of microwave) until it is tender to the touch. Cut in half carefully and scoop out the seeds.
- Stovetop: Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Cut into smaller pieces. Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the squash. Cook for 8-10 minutes until it is tender.
- Slow Cooker: Pierce the squash using a fork or knife. Place the whole squash in the slow cooker and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Instant Pot: Cut the squash in half and remove the seeds. Place the squash on a steamer basket or trivet. Add 1 cup of water and cook for 7 minutes.
Baked Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1.33 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 8 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tsp. butter
- 4 tbsp. part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce (look for low-sugar or low carb)
- 1 U spaghetti squash
- shopping_cartGet IngredientsinfoNEW!
Cook the spaghetti squash by either cutting it in half and roasting it for 45 minutes in a 400 degree oven OR piercing it all over with a knife and them microwaving it on high for 10 minutes or until softened. Scrape out with fork when ready to serve. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Stir together the Parmesan, oregano, and basil. Melt the butter and brush the chicken with the butter. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Press each piece of chicken into the cheese.
Place on a baking sheet covered with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes and then flip over. Bake for 5 more minutes.
Remove from oven and spread 1 tbsp. on each chicken breast. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp. mozzarella cheese. Return to oven until melted.
Serve with spaghetti squash and remaining marinara sauce.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.