- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
- 1 U onion, chopped
- 3 U garlic cloves, minced
- 1 U poblano pepper, diced
- 1 U jalapeno, diced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/4 cup skim milk
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 1 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup milk with 3 tsbp of cornstarch. Set aside, this will serve as the thickener.
Bring a medium to large sauce pan up to medium heat and spray non fat coking spray. Add the onions, garlic, poblano, and jalapeno and cook for 5-7 minutes until they begin to soften.
Add the chicken broth and milk. Bring to a simmer and let cook for about 3 minutes to reduce slightly.
Add the cornstarch mixture to the pan and stir quickly. It will immediately thicken up and begin to bubble. Once you see it thicken up, turn the heat to low.
Add the cheese and stir until it melts completely. Then add the tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper.
Serve with homemade baked tortilla chips. To cook, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut corn tortillas in 1/4′s and place onto a sheet of parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt. Cook for 10-15 minutes until crispy.
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.