These delicious healthy party food recipes and ideas are perfect for your next gathering! From hot and cold appetizers to the most amazing dips, hummus, salsa, and sweet treats. There is something for everyone.
Let's be honest - parties are all about the food and drinks, which can make it incredibly hard to stick to your healthy eating habits. However, you don't have to deprive yourself, instead, if you are hosting a get-together, choose some of these healthier versions of all your favorite party snacks so you can partake in the celebration without worry.
There’s no need to overcomplicate party snacks. The last thing you want to do is add more stress when planning a get-together. Keep it simple and choose the options that work for you. A small variety of choices is all you need, no need to do overdue it. Your guests aren’t coming just for the food.
Healthy Options For Your Next Get Together
Here are a few better-for-options you can make or buy for your party.
1. Salsas & Dips
Salsas and dips are always a big hit at parties.
Why Serve Salsas And Dips At Your Next Party
- Quick and easy: Salsas and dips come together fairly quickly and easily
- Healthy: Salsas and dips are most often made with simple, clean ingredients.
- Make ahead option: Most can be prepared ahead of time so that gets one thing off your to-do list.
- Can sit at room temperature: There are plenty of options you can leave out for quite a few hours without worrying someone is going to get sick.
- Store-bought options are fine: Fresh or jarred store-bought salsas and dips usually taste pretty good so if you are in a bind, just pick up a few.
Homemade salsa verde is a classic Mexican green salsa that is bursting with flavor. This easy salsa is made with tomatillos, jalapenos, cilantro, onions, and garlic. Tastes great on tacos, enchiladas, burritos, and more!
This Grilled Pineapple Salsa made with sweet grilled pineapple, jalapeno peppers, red onion, cilantro, and lime juice is the perfect topping for tacos, grilled meats, tortilla chips, and more.
This delicious and easy corn salsa comes together in less than 10 minutes. It is good on everything from tacos to grilled meats to veggies, salads, and more.
Mango Black Bean Salsa with sweet mango, black beans, cilantro, jalapeno, red onions, and lime juice is the perfect summer salsa. Great with chips, on tacos, or served over grilled proteins.
Homemade Hummus is smooth, creamy, and beyond delicious. This quick and flavorful chickpea dip is so easy to make, you’ll never go back to the store-bought stuff again!
Avocado Hummus is made with fresh avocado, chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, and fresh cilantro for a mouth-watering dish that’s as vibrant as it is delicious. Serve this tasty homemade hummus as a dip for veggies and crackers or a spread on your next wrap!
Black Bean Hummus made with simple ingredients you already have at home is a tasty, fun alternative to traditional hummus. It's the perfect healthy snack with veggies, baked tortilla chips, or pretzels.
This healthy queso dip tastes amazing with chips or smothered on your favorite burrito. It has all the flavor and none of the guilt! Make this dip with sharp cheddar and jalapenos, you won't regret it.
Homemade Guacamole is fresh, flavorful, and beyond easy to make. Made with the perfect blend of avocados, onion, jalapenos, lime juice, and fresh cilantro, this mouth-watering dish makes the ultimate chip dip for taco nights and game-day parties.
Roasted Red Pepper Hummus is made with red bell peppers, chickpeas, lemon juice, and tahini. This delicious and satisfying 10-minute snack recipe is perfect for pairing with veggies, crackers, pita bread, and so much more!
What To Serve With Salsas and Dips
There are so many different ways to serve up salsa and dips, here are a few of our favorites.
- Corn chips: To keep things on the healthier side you can buy unsalted corn chips. There are usually lots of options in the snack aisle. Stay away from the heavily seasoned varieties as they have quite a few not-so-familiar ingredients.
- Potato chips: Potato chips go well with anything. The healthiest options are unsalted and baked chips. If you are up to the task you can also make your own Baked Potato Chips.
- Pita: Look for whole wheat pita to scoop up salsas or dips. Cut the pita into small triangles.
- Baguette: Cut up a baguette for dipping and scooping or make these Two Ingredient Breadsticks.
- Fresh cut veggies: Cut up carrots, cucumbers, celery, or prepare broccoli or cauliflower florets.
- Roasted vegetables: Roast beets, carrots, parsnips, broccoli, and cauliflower for dips and salsas.
2. Hot Appetizers
Although cold appetizers and dips tend to be easier, there is something so delicious about a hot appetizer at a party. Many can be made ahead and kept warm in the oven. Or just make sure to let your guests know when they are ready so people dig in right away.
Additionally, hot appetizers are great at bridging the gap between when guests arrive and when you serve the meal as they really whet guests’ appetites.
Why Serve Hot Appetizers At Your Next Party
Here are a few reasons we love serving warm dishes as our party snacks.
- Everyone's Favorite: People simply love this type of party snack!
- Can Replace a Meal: If you are having a party but don't feel like serving a sit-down dinner, hot appetizers, and party snacks is the perfect option!
- Variety: Bite-sized and smaller proportions means that you can serve a wider variety of dishes than when a proper meal is served.
How to Keep Hot Appetizers Warm for a Party
- Slow cooker and instant pot: Look for recipes that can be stored in a slow cooker or Instant Pot on the "warm" setting. This could include soups, stews, shredded meats for sliders or lettuce wraps, warm dips, and even foods like egg rolls, dumplings, wings, and small pastries.
- Warming plates: Warming plates are a great option to keep warm appetizers and party snacks hot as part of a buffet table.
- Preheated oven: Keep snacks hot in a warm oven until it is time to serve. Keep the temperature low at 150-200 degrees so the food doesn't overcook.
- Foil tins: Many people use foil serving dishes wrapped with foil to keep dishes warm. Some people even double up on the serving dish and place heat packs in between to keep everything warm and toasty.
3. Cold Party Snack and Appetizers
Cold appetizers are such a great option for parties since you don’t need to worry about them staying warm! You can put them out before everyone arrives and guests can help themselves.
These work especially well in the warmer months or if you are entertaining outdoors. Just make sure to keep them cool by serving them on ice trays so they don't spoil.
Why Serve Cold Appetizers At Your Next Gathering
- Make ahead: The biggest benefit to cold snacks and appetizers is that they can all be prepped in advance so that you aren't cooking during the party!
- More time with guests: Since you don't need to worry about warming up dishes or cooking, you get more time with guests.
- Refreshing in warm weather: During warmer months, cold appetizers are a refreshing option for barbecues, pool parties, birthdays, and more.
How to Keep Appetizers and Snacks Cold for a Party
- Inflatable buffets with ice: There are lots of inflatable buffet trays that have sections for ice to keep food items and drinks cool during the summer months.
- Chilled bowls and plates: Many companies now sell insulated bowls and plates that help keep items cooler when for longer. Many of these work even better when stored in the fridge or freezer before use.
- Coolers: There is nothing wrong with storing cold appetizers and snacks in a cooler when it is especially warm out. Just remember to have serving utensils and plates nearby and label the cooler so people know there is food inside.
- Foil tins: An ingenious viral trick involves pouring water into a foil serving tray and freezing it. Then simply place another tray on top to keep everything cool and fresh. This works even better when the tray is covered in foil.
These healthy Cream Cheese Pinwheels packed with fresh chopped vegetables, savory cream cheese, and ranch seasoning are a great healthy lunch, snack, or appetizer.
Say hello to the best Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps—a lighter and flavor-packed version of a classic. Full of chicken breast, celery, cranberries, Greek yogurt, and Dijon mustard, these wraps make a quick and easy choice for a healthy lunch or dinner.
These easy Quiche Cupcakes with a ham crust are filled with spinach and mozzarella cheese ad couldn't be more delicious. Packed with protein and low carb.
Easy Turkey Pinwheels filled with cream cheese, deli turkey, cheddar cheese, and dried cranberries are the perfect appetizer or make-ahead lunch.
This Chickpea Meditterean Salad is packed with fresh veggies, ready in less than 15 minutes, and bursting with flavor from fresh herbs, lemon, and feta cheese. Use it as a side dish or main dish, plus it's great for meal prep.
Easy Shrimp Cocktail that can be roasted in the oven or poached is the perfect appetizer. Serve it with classic cocktail sauce or get creative and try pesto, aioli, or something spicy.
Easy Fish Ceviche is a bright and refreshing Latin American dish made with fresh fish marinated in lime juice. It is easy to make, the perfect summer dish, and great as a main dish with tostadas or as a light appetizer or dip.
This delicious Cóctel de Camarones is the Mexican version of shrimp cocktail with a delicious tomato-based sauce, cucumbers, onions, lime juice, cilantro, and fresh shrimp.
Low Carb Turkey Pesto Roll Ups make the best low carb turkey sandwich with cucumber, deli turkey, cheddar cheese, pesto, and fresh veggies. Quick and easy to make.
This Easy Shrimp Ceviche with zesty lime marinated shrimp, red onion, jalapeno, avocado, tomatoes, and cilantro is the perfect bright, refreshing dish for a hot day. Plus it couldn't be easier to make!
This Spicy Tuna Salad has all the same flavors as your favorite spicy tuna roll but is made with canned tuna instead.
Greek Nachos packed with fresh veggies, chicken breast, black olives, and plenty of feta cheese are the perfect appetizer or quick meal.
4. Sweets and Desserts
Everybody’s favorite part, or at least ours is the sweet treats that always come at the end of any celebration. Whether you opt for fruit, chocolate, or baked goods, there is a delicious sweet snack for any party below.
The Easiest Party Snacks with Fruit
Here are a few of our favorite fruit desserts, all of which would definitely pair nicely with this Brownie Batter Chocolate Hummus. It’s perfect for dipping.
- Fruit tray: You can make fruit super simple and just offer fresh berries as all you need to do is wash them. Or if you want to take things up a notch you can serve these Grilled Fruit Kabobs. Grilled fruit is perfect for barbeque celebrations.
- Frozen fruit: These Fresh Fruit Popsicles look super fancy but are quite simple to pull together or make these Fresh Fruit and Yogurt Popsicles. Or these Frozen Banana Bites are sure to be a hit.
- Fruit salad: Throwing a bunch of fresh or canned fruit into a bowl is always an option or you can make this Mexican Fruit Salad.
More Sweet Treats
For some healthier treat options, here is a list of our go-to's.
These Chickpea Cookie Dough Bites make the perfect healthy treat! Packed with fiber and protein, these delicious energy bites are a nutrient rich snack or dessert.
Made with just 4 simple ingredients, Banana Oatmeal Cookies make the ultimate healthy breakfast or dessert. Ready from start to finish in under 20 minutes, these mouthwatering cookies are bound to have you going back for seconds—and thirds!
This Strawberry Frozen Yogurt Bark flecked with chocolate chips, sliced almonds, and a touch of jelly is a great protein rich snack or dessert.
You won't believe these Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars are actually good for you! Whole grains, protein, healthy fats, and tons of flavor.
No Bake Brownie Balls made with all natural ingredients including almonds, dates, honey, and cocoa powder for a healthy sweet snack.
Frozen yogurt bark with fresh blueberries, graham crackers, and lemon zest is a frozen treat that is packed with protein and can be customized any way you like.
These Healthy Flourless Pumpkin Brownie Bites are the perfect nutritious fall dessert made with canned pumpkin, almond butter, and cocoa powder. Rich, chocolatey, and nutritious.
These No Bake Oatmeal Cookies are quick, easy, and so delicious. Made with wholesome ingredients like peanut butter, rolled oats, coconut oil, and maple syrup, this flavorful recipe makes for the perfect healthy treat.
5,. The Best Super Easy Store Bought Healthy Party Snacks
If you are in a bind and just don’t have time to pull anything together, here are 10 things you can grab at the grocery store and feel good about serving and eating.
Try to find options that don’t have too many ingredients and that haven’t been deep-fried.
- Chicken Skewers with sauce
- Mini Chicken or Turkey Meatballs
- Hummus, Tzatziki, Baba Ganoush, or Tabouli with veggies and pita bread
- Mixed nuts or seeds, olives, cheese cubes, and raw vegetables
- Marinated vegetables and beans
- Chicken or egg salad served on cucumbers or mini bell peppers
- Mini quiche
- Shrimp and cocktail sauce
Party Planning Tips
Here are a few things you can do to make sure your party food goes off without a hitch.
- Make a list of confirmed guests and any special dietary requirements.
- Research and decide what you are going to serve at least 5 days before the party.
- Prepare any dishes that can be made in advance and frozen.
- Pull out all the serving dishes, cutlery, napkins, etc. the day before the party.
- Go grocery shopping the day before so you know you have all the ingredients on hand.
- Ask for help if you need it!
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most common questions.
If you are planning on serving dinner, 2-3 appetizer options are plenty. If you are not serving a meal, plan on 4-6 appetizer or snack options.
You’ll need 4-6 pieces/bites per person if a meal is being served, If a meal is not being served, plan on 10-12 pieces per person.