Frozen Banana Bites stuffed with peanut butter and dipped in chocolate are the ultimate healthy sweet treat. Jump to Recipe
These simple frozen chocolate and peanut butter Banana Bites are so easy to make and satisfy any sweet tooth. This delicious healthy snack and dessert is the ultimate guilt-free way to indulge! Banana and chocolate lovers also won't want to miss these Chocolate Banana Muffins.
People have been enjoying bananas and peanut butter as a healthy snack for years, so it seems only fitting that we would improve upon a classic. What better to improve an iconic healthy snack recipe than by adding chocolate?
These Frozen Banana Bites are made with a dollop of peanut butter sandwiched between two banana slices, then coated in a thin layer of melted chocolate. These tiny treats are loaded with protein, fiber, and healthy fats for a healthy snack that keeps you feeling energized and satisfied.
Not only are these insanely delicious, but they are also super fun to make. My girls love getting involved in the preparation process, especially knowing that in a little over an hour we will all have a chocolatey snack to enjoy.
I love whipping up these snacks in the summertime as a tasty way to cool down, but there is really no wrong time to make them. Because all of the ingredients can be found at the store year-round, you can enjoy banana bites in any season.
You can also get creative and add different toppings to these bite-sized snacks depending on what you like. Toppings like chopped peanuts, sprinkles, and crushed graham crackers add a ton of flavor and a really nice crunch.
Serve up these snacks as a healthy dessert recipe at your next party or keep them in the freezer for quick healthy snacks for the family. Regardless of how you choose to enjoy these bites, I guarantee you’re going to love them!
To make this delicious and easy treat, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Bananas: Make sure to opt for bananas that are ripe, but firm. We don’t want overly ripe bananas that will be mushy and hard to work with, but we also don’t want under-ripe bananas that aren’t flavorful.
- Peanut butter: This ingredient is loaded with protein and healthy fats to give you an energy boost and keep you feeling satisfied. Not to mention, it’s delicious!
- Chocolate chips: I typically prefer to use dark chocolate chips, but feel free to use any kind you like. For a vegan-friendly treat, you can use dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Coconut oil: This is optional but highly recommended, as it makes the chocolate much easier to melt and set. To avoid a coconut taste, make sure to opt for the unrefined kind.
Tips For Making Frozen Banana Bites
Here are some of my top tips and tricks to help you make this recipe:
- You can easily make this a vegan snack recipe by swapping out the chocolate chips for your favorite dairy-free chocolate chips.
- Not into peanut butter? No problem. You can use any kind of nut butter you like. Almond butter and cashew butter both work well. For a nut-free option, try sunflower seed butter.
- Make sure the bananas you’re working with are ripe enough to be flavorful, but not so ripe that they are mushy and difficult to work with. The sweet spot is a banana that is ripe, but firm.
- Feel free to mix up this recipe by using a different type of fruit like strawberries, apples, or pears.
- Not a fan of chocolate? Try swapping it out for white chocolate or Greek yogurt.
- If you want to add toppings to your banana bites, sprinkle them on top right after coating the bites in chocolate. That way, the toppings will stick to the chocolate and freeze with it when you pop the bites into the freezer.
- For a softer bite, let the banana bites thaw for 5 minutes before biting into them.
If you’re looking to kick things up a notch, try adding some fun toppings to your banana bites. It’s super easy and makes for a great way to add variety to this delicious treat!
Simply sprinkle your chosen toppings over the melted chocolate, then place the bites in the freezer as you normally would to let the chocolate harden. When the chocolate hardens, it will secure the toppings in place so they don’t fall off the banana bites.
Here are some of my favorite toppings for banana bites to try out:
- Shredded coconut
- Chopped nuts (peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, etc.)
- Chia seeds
- Flaky sea salt
- Crushed graham crackers
How to Store Frozen Banana Bites
While you will need to initially freeze your banana bites on a parchment-lined baking sheet, this is not a long-term freezing solution. To store your banana bites in the freezer long-term, you will need to transfer them to an airtight storage bag once frozen. When stored like this, the banana bites will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this healthy snack recipe:
Is this dish healthy?
Absolutely! Peanut butter is loaded with protein and healthy fats, bananas are packed with beneficial vitamins and minerals, and dark chocolate is filled with antioxidants. When consumed in moderation, this is a perfectly healthy snack to give you an energy boost throughout the day.
What can I use instead of peanut butter?
If you aren’t a fan of peanut butter, you can swap it out for almond butter, cashew butter, or sunflower seed butter. You can also leave out the nut butter altogether and just make your frozen banana bites with bananas and chocolate.
What can I use instead of bananas?
If you want to try this recipe with a different type of fruit, I recommend using another fruit that pairs well with both chocolate and nut butter. Strawberries, apples, and pears all make good options.
More Healthy Dessert Recipes
If you liked this recipe, you’ll love these:
Frozen Banana Bites
- crop_freeCook Mode
- printPrint Recipe
- file_downloadDownload PDF
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
The Nutritional Values provided are estimates only and may vary based on the preparation method.
Get delicious, healthy recipes delivered each week right to your inbox.
Snap a picture and show us what you made on Instagram or Facebook.
Tag us using @SlenderKitchen or #slenderkitchen.